NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team continued their winning streak with a 4-1 victory over Illinois State on Friday night at Richland Country Club.
Since dropping their first four matches of the season, the Bisons have reeled off three straight wins.
“When you’re searching for that first win, you’re almost more focused on that than doing your job,” head coach Mario Hernandez said.
Now, the Bisons are focused on playing winning tennis, and that starts with getting doubles play back to the form it was last season.
After struggling with doubles play early in the season, the Bisons have emphasized it in recent weeks. That work paid off as Lipscomb took the doubles point with wins at the top two lines.
Hernandez believes their doubles play helped pick up momentum to start the match that they were able to carry throughout play.
“The guys really set the tone early with the doubles,” Hernandez said. “We got up early and that set the tone for the match.”
Lipscomb continued their strong play into singles, sweeping the first three seeds.
Coming off of his Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honors, Rob Mitchell continued his good form at the top spot. Mitchell took the first set in a tiebreak on his way to defeating Jakub Eisner 7-6(5), 6-4.
Alejandro Manzanares was strong from the second spot as he went on to beat Urh Krajnc Domiter 6-3, 6-2.
Philippe Courteau rounded out play from the third spot against Rodrigo Oliveira. Courteau controlled the match early on his way to a 6-2, 6-4 win.
Not only does winning the doubles point give a team an early advantage, it helps them make an early impression on singles play.
“In singles we got up early,” Hernandez said. “After taking the doubles point, there wasn’t a letdown. That put us in position to control the match.”
The Bisons look to continue their winning play on Saturday as they face UAB at Richland Country Club. Play begins at 6 p.m.
“We’ve played them in the fall,” Hernandez said. “They’re a tough team and they’re a well-coached team. Our guys are looking forward to the battle with them.”
Lipscomb 4 – Illinois State 1
- Alejandro Manzanares/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Andreas Boers/Urh Krajnc Domiter (ISU) 6-2.
- John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Jakub Eisner/Egehan Sertkaya (ISU) 6-4
- Christoffer Greve/Dylan Steffens (ISU) def. Thais Minet/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-5
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Jakub Eisner (ISU) 7-6(5), 6-4
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Urh Krajnc Domiter (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Rodrigo Oliveira (ISU) 6-2, 6-4
- Christoffer Greve (ISU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
- Thais Minet (LIP) vs. Andreas Boers (ISU) 2-2, unf
- John Tougher (LIP) vs. Dylan Steffens (ISU) 2-2, unf