NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After their two-week absence from competition, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped their first outdoor match 4-3 to Southern Illinois on Saturday.
The matched stayed tightly contested from start to finish, with the doubles point proving to be decisive.
Head coach Mario Hernandez liked how his team competed against a team that was riding a seven-match win streak.
“It was a good battle,” Hernandez said. “They’ve got a really good record and a really good team.
“The guys had an opportunity to win the match. I’m really happy that we put ourselves in the position to win the match.”
The two teams split the doubles matches at the one and two lines as John Tougher and Rob Mitchell defeated Wilder Pimentel and Alex Pozo at the two spot 6-2.
The Salukis (8-1) would go on to take the point when Peter Molloy and Daniel Martinez edged out Thais Minet and Kauai Linardi 7-6.
Action continued to be even in singles play as both teams took three matches.
Playing at the No. 1 position, Rob Mitchell improved his win streak to five matches in two sets. Mitchell took the first set on Jonny Rigby by a break on his way to a 6-4, 7-6(5) win.
Daniel Cardenas picked up the second Bison win from his No. 4 spot in another tightly contested match. After taking the first set in a tiebreak over Malloy, Cardenas won the match in the second set with a 7-6(6), 6-4 score.
At the sixth spot, Kauai Linardi picked up the third win for the Bisons in a three-setter. Linardi dropped the first set 6-3 before rallying to defeat Martinez 3-6, 6-4, 6-0.
After another tight match for his Bisons, Hernandez wants his guys to continue to focus on the fundamentals and stay aggressive as matches go on.
“What we tend to find, not just with our team but with any team, is when guys crack under pressure, they go away from their fundamentals or what got them to that position, “Hernandez said.
Lipscomb (3-6) returns to Houston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center next weekend when they face Murray State and Ball State on Friday and Saturday.
Southern Illinois 4 – Lipscomb 3
- Jonny Rigby/Piotr Baranski (SIU) def. Philippe Courteau/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-2
- John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Wilder Pimentel/Alex Pozo (SIU) 6-2
- Peter Molloy/Daniel Martinez (SIU) def. Thais Minet/Kauai Linardi (LIP) 7-6
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Jonny Rigby (SIU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Wilder Pimentel (SIU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
- Piotr Baranski (SIU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Peter Molloy (SIU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
- Alex Pozo (SIU) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-3, 6-3, 6-0
- Kauai Linardi (LIP) def. Daniel Martinez (SIU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0