MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team got back in the win column on Friday with a 7-0 sweep of Murray State.
After dropping their last two, head coach Mario Hernandez saw his guys bounce back and get back on track on Friday at the Adams Indoor Tennis Center at Middle Tennessee State.
“They did their jobs,” Hernandez said. “They really were applying what we’ve been working on. Top to bottom we stayed with what we’ve been working on.”
Lipscomb, 4-6, set the tone of the match early, taking the doubles point with 6-2 wins from the top two lines.
“ We just executed in doubles a little better,” Hernandez said. “They were very aggressive. They did a great job of bringing the intensity early.”
The Bisons kept that intensity throughout, going on to sweep singles play.
Alejandro Manzanares, Philippe Courteau and Kauai Linardi all took their first sets by 6-0 scores before taking their respective matches in e second set.
Rob Mitchell took the match at the top spot as Murray State’s Marcel Ueltzhoeffer retired in the first set. The match gave Mitchell his sixth straight match win.
Thais Minet also took his match at the fifth spot by retirement. After Minet took the opening set 7-5, Javier Villar pulled out.
For the final win of the night, Daniel Cardenas dropped just three games to Srdjan Trosic on his way to a 6-2, 6-1 win.
After the Bisons first 7-0 sweep of the season, Hernandez knows his team can’t dwell on it too long before their matchup with Ball State on Saturday.
It never hurts when you get a win like this, “Hernandez said. “We know we have a challenge in Ball State Saturday though. We’ve already started focusing on tomorrow.”
Lipscomb and Ball State are set to play at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center at 2 p.m. Saturday, but due to possible rain the match could be moved to Richland Country Club at 4 p.m.
“I want to see continuation of what we’re doing,” Hernandez said. “It’s a matter of everyone doing your job and applying what you’ve been working on all semester.”
Lipscomb 7 – Murray State 0
- Rob Mitchell/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Marcel Ueltzhoffer/David Schrott (MSU) 6-2
- Thais Minet/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Will True/Srdjan Trosic (MSU) 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas/ Kauai Linardi (LIP vs. David Hess/Javier Villar (MSU) 4-3, unfinished
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Marcel Ueltzhoffer (MSU) 5-1, retired
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Will True (MSU) 6-0, 6-2
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. David Schrott (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) Srdjan Trosic (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. Javier Villar (MSU) 7-5, retired
- Kauai Linardi (LIP) def. David Hess (MSU) 6-0, 6-3