NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team picked up its second straight win on Saturday with a 7-0 sweep of Ball State
The win also gives the Bisons their second straight 7-0 sweep after Friday’s win over Murray State.
Head coach Mario Hernandez was pleased with how his team competed over the weekend.
“The thing we were most happy with is making sure every single guy didn’t have to be playing their best tennis, but be in every match,” Hernandez said. “We knew nobody could have an off day.
Lipscomb (5-6) has continued to improve doubles play throughout the season and the trend continued against the Cardinals.
Rob Mitchell and Alejandro Manzanares teamed up to take a 6-1 win at the top doubles line. Thais Minet and Philippe Courteau then sealed the point with a 6-4 win at the second line.
The Bisons continued to roll in singles play, starting with Rob Mitchell at the top spot. The junior picked up his seventh straight win in singles play with a 7-6(4), 7-5 win over Lucas Andersen.
Lipscomb has been no stranger to three-set matches this season and they saw two more on Saturday.
Alejandro Manzanares dropped the first set to Andrew Stutz 6-2 before rallying to take the second set 7-5. The second-seeded match stayed close to the end as the third set went to tiebreak with Manzanares winning it 7-6(9-7) for the 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(9-7) win.
The opening set of the fourth line match between Daniel Cardenas and Nemanja Guzina went to tiebreak with Cardenas winning it 7-6(5). Guzina would take the second set before Cardenas took the match 7-6(5), 2-6, 7-5.
Hernandez credits the success of his players in three-set matches to how many times they’ve played them.
“I have to give credit to the fact that we’ve played a lot of tough matches,” Hernandez said. “Playing those gives you experience. Even if you don’t win them, you take something away from them.”
The Bisons travel to New Orleans next week for matches against Texas- Rio Grande Valley and New Orleans. Hernandez doesn’t want his team to settle for where they’re at but to continue to work.
“We’ve changed our approach to where we want to continue to develop and improve our play,” Hernandez said. “All of our guys are continuing to get better. The thing we want to focus on is not looking to keep up this play but develop our play.”
Lipscomb 7 – Ball State 0
- Rob Mitchell/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Lucas Andersen/Andrew Stutz (BALL) 6-4
- Thais Minet/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Conner Andersen/Tom Carney (BALL) 6-1
- Daniel Cardenas/Kauai Linardi (LIP) vs. Matt Helm/Patrick Downs (BALL) 5-4, unfinished
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Lucas Andersen (BALL) 7-6(4), 7-5
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Andrew Stutz (BALL) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(9-7)
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Conner Andersen (BALL) 6-1, 6-4
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Nemanja Guzina (BALL) 7-6(5), 2-6, 7-5
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. Marko Guzina (BALL) 6-3, 6-3
- Kauai Linardi (LIP) def. Jan Juris (BALL) 6-3, 6-4