NEW ORLEANS - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team evened its record at 6-6 on Thursday with a 4-2 win over Texas- Rio Grande Valley.
The Bisons extended their win streak to three matches, tied for their longest of the season.
Friday at 2 p.m. they will face host New Orleans.
Rob Mitchell and Alejandro Manzanares won their match at the top doubles line, but 7-5 wins at the second and third lines gave the Vaqueros the point.
Lipscomb was able to bounce back in singles play, taking four matches to earn the win.
Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez was happy with the way his team bounced back going into singles play.
“I think the guys really showed a lot of mental strength bouncing back,” Hernandez said. “Texas-Rio Grande Valley is a tough team. I thought our guys really did a good job of not letting a tight doubles point get to them.”
Daniel Cardenas started things off for the Bisons with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Ethan Ammon at the third spot.
Manzanares picked up his third consecutive win in singles play with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Koby Jansen at the second spot.
At the sixth line, Kauai Linardi put Lipscomb up 3-2 with his 6-4, 6-1 win over Cosme Jubera.
With Mitchell and Daniel Cardenas both going to three sets in their matches, Cardenas was able to close his out first. Cardenas and Yehonatan Kaufmen split the first two sets from the fourth line before Cardenas took the third set and the match 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.
“When it’s that close of a doubles point, your guys know that it’s going to be a close match,” Hernandez said. “When we have the opportunity to close it out, we have to show the confidence to close it.”
Lipscomb will look to extend their streak on Friday at 4 p.m. when they take on New Orleans in their final match before conference play begins.
“Each match we’re looking to get better,” Hernandez said. “Today’s match is over. It’s time to recover physically and refocus mentally on Friday.”
New Orleans, La.
Lipscomb 4 – Texas-Rio Grande Valley
- Rob Mitchell/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Juan Cruz Soria/Koby Jansen (UTRGV) 6-3
- Elliot Johnstone/Andres Hernandez (UTRGV) def. Philippe Courteau/Thais Minet (LIP) 7-5
- Yehonatan Kaufmen/Ethan Ammon (UTRGV) def. Daniel Cardenas/Kauai Linardi (LIP) 7-5
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) vs. Juan Cruz Soria (UTRGV) 3-6, 6-2, 3-1 (unfinished)
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Koby Jansen (UTRGV) 6-4, 6-4
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Ethan Ammon (UTRGV) 6-3, 6-0
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Yehonatan Kaufmen (UTRGV) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
- Elliot Johnstone (UTRGV) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 7-6(0), 6-2
- Kauai Linardi (LIP) def. Cosme Jubera (UTRGV) 6-4, 6-1