NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped their final non-conference match of the season on Saturday 4-2 to Eastern Kentucky.
The Bisons (6-8) lost the doubles point to give Eastern Kentucky an early lead before the Colonels won the match at the four through six spots in singles play.
Coming off of Friday’s conference loss to Florida Gulf Coast, head coach Mario Hernandez is confident in his team’s ability but knows there are still improvements that can be made.
“Honestly, I thought our guys battled but we still need to improve at spots,” Hernandez said. “We need to be tougher in matches.”
Hernandez wants his team to play as intense in practice as they would in matches.
“A lot of it comes down to the player’s themselves…how they compete in practice,” Hernandez said. “We need to be strong 1-9 in our team with every guy pushing every guy.”
Philippe Courteau and Thais Minet picked up a 6-4 win at the second doubles line but the Bisons were unable to take a second match for the point.
In singles play, Rob Mitchell pushed his win streak to nine matches with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Ramon van Flymen at the top spot.
Hernandez wants his team to look at the junior as an example of preparation leading to success.
“Rob’s been awesome. He’s been our rock. Every singles time he competes in practice, it’s as if it’s the deciding match. Guys need to look at that as an example.”
After a tough win a day ago, Alejandro Manzanares continued his strong play with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Alex Álvaro.
The Bisons will reset their focus to next week, when they travel to Florida for matches against conference foes North Florida and Stetson.
Despite the week’s loses, Hernandez knows there’s no confidence lost with his team and wants them to continue with what has got them here.
“The good thing is this weekend has been great for us to be under great competition,” Hernandez said. “At this point in the season, you don’t make big changes.
“The main focus is on when we are in practice we’ve got to get ourselves in that match intensity. If we can do that, we’ll be all right.”
Eastern Kentucky 4 – Lipscomb 2
- Alex Álvaro/Sebastian Mueller (EKU) def. Rob Mitchell/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 7-5
- Philippe Courteau/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Ramon van Flymen/Indra Patwardhan (EKU) 6-4
- Guilliem Sanchis/Diego Asis (EKU) def. John Tougher/Kauai Linardi (LIP) 6-4
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Ramon van Flymen (EKU) 6-3, 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Alex Álvaro (EKU) 6-4, 6-1
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) vs. Guilliem Sanchis (EKU) 6-3, 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
- Sebastian Mueller (EKU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-6, 7-5
- Diogo Soares (EKU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
- Florian Graskamp (EKU) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-2, 6-4