JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team began its Florida trip with a 7-0 defeat by No. 71 North Florida.
After dropping the doubles point, the Bisons were unable to get anything going as singles play went on.
“It was a tough battle,” Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez said. “UNF is a very tough team.
“Our guys came out a little slow in doubles. We had some battles in singles.”
From the second spot, Alejandro Manzanares split the first two sets with Lasse Muscheites. Muscheites took the decisive third set, however, to take the match 6-0, 5-7, 6-3.
Thais Minet and Jonathan Deautriell also went the distance at the sixth line. Deautriell was able to pull out the win, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
Rob Mitchell entered the match riding a nine-match win streak in singles play. He saw that streak snapped by Jack Findel-Hawkins in a 6-4, 6-3 loss
With the match, the Bisons (6-9, 0-2) have now faced the teams that finished first and second in the Atlantic Sun last season in Florida Gulf Coast and North Florida, respectfully. With those matches out of the way, Hernandez knows his team has to keep moving forward.
“We’ve played the two toughest teams in our conference first,” Hernandez said. “It’s over. We just have to put it behind us.
“We’ve still got four matches left in the conference. We’re right in the thick of conference play.
Lipscomb will look to pick up the first conference win on Saturday as they travel to DeLand, Florida to take on Stetson at 3 p.m.
Stetson (10-7, 3-0) enters the match on a four-match winning streak. The Hatters are coming off of a 4-3 win over Kennesaw State on Thursday.
Ahead of the match, Hernandez wants his team to focus on playing their brand of tennis that they have played all season.
“We’re going to work hard,” Hernandez said. “We are going to keep playing our tennis. We are changing anything going forward.”
North Florida 7 – Lipscomb 0
- Lasse Muscheites/Zach Goldberg (UNF) vs. Rob Mitchell/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 4-3, unfinished
- Julian Bradley/Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) def. Thais Minet/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-1
- Jonathan Deautriell/Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. John Tougher/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-1
- Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- Lasse Muscheites (UNF) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
- Julian Bradley (UNF) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
- Zach Goldberg (UNF) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-2, 6-4
- Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-3, 6-2
- Jonathan Deautriell (UNF) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4