NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Another tough defeat leaves the Lipscomb team continuing the search for an Atlantic Sun Conference win after a 6-1 loss to USC-Upstate on Thursday at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Lipscomb (6-11, 0-4) suffered losses at the first and third doubles lines to give the Spartans the early advantage.
“The match was a battle,” Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez said. “I think the deciding factor was the doubles point.
“I think we had the opportunity to win. You get up that one point and it really sets the tone for the singles matches.”
Daniel Cardenas picked up the Bisons only win of the afternoon as he defeated Lenhard Haupt 6-1, 6-4 at the fourth spot.
The Bisons look ahead to Saturday for their first ever meeting with new conference opponent NJIT (8-7, 0-4). The Bisons need wins in their final two matches to put themselves in contention for the fourth tournament spot.
Hernandez wants his players to continue to fight for their spot and embrace any pressure they face as they head into these crucial matches.
“There are two more opportunities to qualify for the tournament,” Hernandez said. “We need to keep pushing to qualify. We have to keep pushing.
“You’re not going to be able to take away the pressure. It is better to confront it. You have to fight hard throughout the match.”
Saturday’s 3 p.m. match is also the final match senior John Tougher will play at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center. Hernandez notes the impact that Tougher has had not just on the court but off of it as well.
“John has been a good leader for us,” Hernandez said. “He’s been a great kind of extension of the coaching staff. We want to make sure we do it right on Saturday and leave him with a good experience.”
USC-Upstate 6 – Lipscomb 1
- Ramon Simonetti/Ankush Arora (UPST) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-2
- John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (LIP) vs. Lenhard Haupt/Ignacio Garrido (UPST) 2-5, unfinished
- Jamie Yates/Rajanvir Dharni (UPST) def. Daniel Cardenas/Thais Minet (LIP) 6-4
- Ramon Simonetti (UPST) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 6-3
- Ankush Arora (UPST) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 7-5, 6-4
- Jamie Yates (UPST) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-3, 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Lenhard Haupt (UPST) 6-1, 6-4
- Ignacio Garrido (UPST) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-0, 6-4
- Rajanvir Dharni (UPST) def. John Tougher (LIP) 3-6, 6-3, 2-1