TUSCALOOSA, Al. - After two straight conference wins, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team ended the regular season with a 4-0 loss to Vanderbilt on Sunday.
In a match that only saw singles play, the Bisons weren’t able to get anything going against No. 45 Vanderbilt in a neutral court match in Tuscaloosa.
Despite the result, Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez was happy with how his team battled against the Commodores.
“It was a tough match against a strong team,” Hernandez said. “But I felt the guys competed well. Tough competition only makes us better going into the conference tournament.”
Lipscomb (8-12, 2-4) will play in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament ahead starting on Friday.
The Bisons enter the weekend as the fifth seed and will face fourth-seeded USC-Upstate, the host, to start the tournament. The Spartans won the matchup between the teams earlier in the season 6-1.
Making their first tournament appearance in three years, the Bisons are looking forward to opportunity they have.
“We’ll shift our focus to the conference tournament which I know the guys are excited for,” Hernandez said. “Our most fun part of the season is right around the corner.”
No. 45 Vanderbilt 4 – Lipscomb 0
- No. 40 Daniel Valent (VU) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
- No. 97 Cameron Klinger (VU) vs. Manzanares (LIP) 6-4, 6-5
- Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-3, 6-4
- Baker Newman (VU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-3, 6-1
- Alex Ross (VU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-4, 6-4
- Tate Allwardt (VU) vs. Kauai Linardi (LIP) 6-7, 4-2