CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - Lipscomb men’s tennis team made the most of a trip to Clarksville on Saturday as they left with their first win of the season.
The Bisons took the doubles point and carried that into singles play for a 5-2 win over Austin Peay (1-4) from the Ohio Valley Conference.
Lipscomb (1-3) got things started as Thais Minet and Philippe Courteau teamed up to defeat Alex Kartsonis and Chad Woodham 6-2 at the three line.
Daniel Cardenas and Alejandro Manzanares sealed the point with a 6-4 win over Aaron Jumonville and Manuel Montenegro at the second line.
Winning the doubles point has been a focus for the Bisons, as it often proves important.
“Getting the doubles point was huge for us,” coach Mario Hernandez said. “We've been putting a lot of work into our doubles, and to perform well under pressure in the doubles point, really carried some momentum into singles.”
The Bisons used that momentum to win four of the six matches in singles play.
Senior Rob Mitchell notched his first win of the season as he defeated Montenegro 6-4, 6-3 at the top spot.
Victor Chaw battled for a win over Almantas Ozelis in three sets 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 as the second seed.
Manzanares kept things rolling with a 6-1, 6-2 win at the third spot over Aleh Drobysh.
Jorge Ortegon saw his first action of the season in a winning effort as he defeated James Mitchell 6-3, 6-4 at the fifth spot.
The Bisons have a quick turnaround as they travel to Kentucky for a Sunday match with No. 15 Kentucky.
Kentucky is coming off a 4-3 loss to top-ranked Virginia on Saturday and will host matches against Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky.
“It's a great opportunity for us to test ourselves against some of the nation's best,” Hernandez said. “I'm positive if our guys put their focus on doing the best job they can possibly do, they will put themselves in situations to succeed Sunday.
“Against Kentucky we have some team goals we want to accomplish within the match. That will be our main focus and let the results take care of themselves. I am happy to get the first win but looking ahead to the next match.”
Lipscomb 5 – Austin Peay 2
- Almantas Ozelis/Aleh Drobysh (APSU) def. Rob Mitchell/Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-4
- Daniel Cardenas/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Aaron Jumonville/Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-4
- Philippe Courteau/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Alex Kartonis/Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-2
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-4, 6-3
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) 7-6, 5-7, 6-4
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Aleh Drobysh (APSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Alex Kartonis (APSU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. James Mitchell (APSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Chad Woodham (APSU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-2, 6-4