LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lipscomb tennis followed the first win of the season on Saturday with a tough 4-1 loss to Kentucky on Sunday.
Kentucky (6-2) entered the match ranked No. 15 in the nation, but the Bisons were unfazed as they gave the Wildcats a battle throughout the match.
“It is a loss but the coaching staff is very proud of how the guys competed,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “This match should give our guys confidence that if they focus on their game and execute it as well as they can, they can play with anyone.”
Lipscomb (1-4) got off to an early lead as they took the double’s point for the second straight match
Rob Mitchell and Victor Chaw teamed up at the first line to take a 6-4 win over Beck Pennington and Enzo Wallart.
Thais Minet and Philippe Courteau secured the point with their own 6-4 victory over Gus Benson and Cesar Bourgois at the third line.
“We played a great doubles point and won it against one of the best teams in the nation,” Hernandez said. “It was a great accomplishment for our guys and that should give them a lot of confidence with the direction our doubles is going. Geoff (Hernandez) put together a great plan for doubles this week and it paid off big time.”
The Wildcats were able to bounce back in singles play, however, as they swept the matches at the first four lines though the Bisons didn’t make it easy on them.
Mitchell took the first set over Ryotaro Matsumura playing at the top spot but Kentucky’s No. 1 was able to battle back for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 win.
Alejandro Manzanares split the first two sets with Trey Yates at the third line before Yates took the match 6-2, 5-7, 7-5.
“We also played very well in singles and put ourselves in position to win most of our singles matches,” Hernandez said.
The Bisons are back in action on Friday night as they host the “Battle of the Boulevard” against Belmont at Richland Country Club at 7.
No. 15 Kentucky 4 – Lipscomb 1
- Rob Mitchell/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Beck Pennington/Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-4
- Ryotaro Matsumura/Trey Yates (UK) def. Daniel Cardenas/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-1
- Thais Minet/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Cesar Bourgois/Gus Benson (UK) 6-4
- Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Beck Pennington (UK) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
- Trey Yates (UK) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
- Nils Ellefsen (UK) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-6, 6-2
- Cesar Bourgois (UK) vs. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 1-6, 6-2, 1-0, DNF
- Jake Stefanik (UK) vs. Thais Minet (LIP) 0-6, 1-5, DNF