KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team returned to action on Saturday with a 7-0 loss to Tennessee in Knoxville.
Despite the loss, the Bisons gave the Volunteers competition; include a big win in doubles play.
“Today's match was a good test for the team,” Lipscomb assistant coach Geoff Hernandez said. “We had a plan going into this match and we stressed the importance of sticking to our training.”
The doubles win came from freshmen Victor Chaw and Jorge Ortegon who took down the No. 25-ranked doubles team in the nation in Timo Stodder and Scott Jones with a 6-3 score.
“Each week we are growing in doubles,” Geoff Hernandez said. “Victor and Jorge had a solid win over the 25th ranked team in the nation and did a great job. We are confident in what we are doing in doubles moving forward.”
Lipscomb (2-5) held their own in singles play as well, particularly at the top of the lineup.
Junior Alejandro Manzanares played his first at the top line, dropping the first set 6-2 to No. 74 Timo Stodder before rallying to force a tiebreaker in the second set before eventually dropping it with a 7-5 score.
Chaw came out firing at the second spot, taking the first set 6-1 before Luis Valero came back to win the next two sets, both in tiebreakers.
Tennessee (8-4) served as the Bisons third SEC opponent of the season. While the goal is always to win matches, the coaching staff and team can learn a lot from these matches despite the loss.
“Mario and I have always tried to make a tough schedule, with that we take some losses but with perspective and character, we only grow from it,” Geoff Hernandez said. “We have to be ready to compete and win against that level if we want to reach our team goal.”
The Bisons are back in action next weekend as they head north for matches against Eastern Kentucky and Dayton.
Tennessee 7 – Lipscomb 0
- Luis Valero/Jack Schipanski (TENN) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel Cardenas (LU) 6-3
- Victor Chaw/Jorge Ortegon (LU) def. No. 25 Timo Stodder/Scott Jones (TENN) 6-3
- Srdjan Jakovljevic/Sunay Bhat (TENN) def. Philippe Courteau/Thais Minet (LU) 6-3
- No. 74 Timo Stodder (TENN) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- Luis Valero (TENN) def. Victor Chaw (LU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (11-9)
- Scott Jones (TENN) def. Jorge Ortegon (LU) 6-0, 6-1
- Srdjan Jakovljevic (TENN) def. Daniel Cardenas (LU) 6-3, 7-5
- Jack Schipanski (TENN) def. Philippe Courteau (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Luca Wiedenmann (TENN) def. Thais Minet (LU) 6-0, 7-5