RICHMOND, Ky. - A tough weekend for the Lipscomb men’s tennis team was capped off by a 4-3 defeat to Eastern Kentucky on Saturday.
“It was much better today,” Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez said. “We still didn't get the result we wanted, but we competed much better as a team. We played well in spots, but still need to be better overall.”
The Colonels took the matches at the first and second doubles line to give them the early lead.
The Bisons didn’t back down heading into singles play, however, applying pressure to the home side.
Alejandro Manzanares got his second win in as many weeks playing at the top spot as he defeated Ramon van Flymen 6-0, 6-4 for Lipscomb’s first point.
Eastern Kentucky (9-4) took the matches at the second and third spots to keep them ahead.
As the fourth seed, Daniel Cardenas split the first two sets with Jan Kueling before he was able to pull out a 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 win.
Thais Minet also saw his match go the distance after he rallied from dropping the first set to win it 5-7, 6-1, (10-5).
In a week full of adversity for the Bisons, Hernandez noted the resiliency of junior Thais Minet.
“I was really happy with Thais Minet's fight, effort, and heart,” Hernandez said. “He's been sick this week and gutted out a singles win and a doubles win with George Wong.”
Lipscomb (2-7) was able to bounce back after Friday’s 7-0 defeat give Eastern Kentucky a battle throughout the entirety of the match.
Despite the losses, Hernandez noted that his team showed fight over the course of the weekend that will pay off as the season goes on.
“Our guys showed their character by really raising their level and fighting like crazy,” Hernandez said. “We've had to deal with some adversity through injuries this week and the guys have shown that they're not going to feel sorry for themselves.
“The players and coaching staff will step up. It wasn't good enough this weekend but it will be soon.”
The Bisons will look to bounce back next week as they host Ball State at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Friday at 10 a.m.
Eastern Kentucky 4 – Lipscomb 3
- Sebastian Mueller/Jan Kueling (EKU) def. Victor Chaw/Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-1
- Ramon van Flymen/Diego Asis (EKU) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-3
- Thais Minet/George Wong (LIP) def. Parth Aggarwal/Romain Stoffels (EKU) 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Ramon van Flymen (EKU) 6-4, 6-0
- Sebastian Mueller (EKU) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-3, 6-0
- Parth Aggarwal (EKU) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Jan Kueling (EKU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
- Diego Asis (EKU) def. George Wong (LIP) 7-6, 6-3
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. Romain Stoffels (EKU) 5-7, 6-1, (10-5)