ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team got the spring break started with a big 5-2 win over UNC-Asheville on Monday.
For the second straight match, the Bisons used the early advantage of winning the doubles point to propel them to a win.
Head coach Mario Hernandez was pleased with how his team battled in a match that saw many momentum changes.
“They fought extremely hard, and with some serious guts,” Hernandez said. “The match had so many swings in momentum but our guys stayed the course.
“The guys are believing in themselves and their teammates. It's fun to see.”
Lipscomb (4-7) took the matches at the second and third doubles lines, both by 6-3 scores, to take an early lead in the contest.
Doubles play has been a focus for the Bisons all season and with two straight doubles points won, they’re starting to see results from all of that work. Hernandez contributes the recent success to his guys learning how to win as a team.
“We're getting better at doubles and guys are understanding how to work and fight for each other as a team,” Hernandez said. “I think that's what's producing better doubles.”
Singles play was highlighted by freshmen Victor Chaw’s 6-0, 6-0 win over Majed Yousef at the third spot.
Alejandro Manzanares also continued his strong play with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Josh Swindler at the second line.
The Bisons also pulled out two matches that went the full three sets. At the fourth spot, Daniel Cardenas dropped the first set to Olly Cull before rallying to win the match 4-6, 6-4, 7-6.
Thais Minet won the first set in his match against James Massie 6-2 before Massie took the second set. Minet was able to bounce back, however, to take the match 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
While strong play is important, Hernandez notes that the willingness to battle during matches can often make the difference.
“They were down at points and struggling, but they never stopped fighting,” Hernandez said. “That spirit, and the will to keep fighting, is often more important than tactics.”
The Bisons will look to make it three in a row on Wednesday as they travel to take on Gardner-Webb at 1 p.m. to close out their spring break trip.
Lipscomb 5 – UNC-Asheville 2
- Henry Patten/Josh Swindler (UNCA) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-3
- Daniel Cardenas/Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Olly Cull/Reid Dillon (UNCA) 6-3
- Thais Minet/George Wong (LIP) def. James Massie/Majed Yousef (UNCA) 6-3
- Henry Patten (UNCA) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-1, 6-0
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Josh Swindler (UNCA) 6-4, 6-3
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Majed Yousef (UNCA) 6-0, 6-0
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Olly Cull (UNCA) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
- Andrew Sinai (UNCA) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-2, 7-5
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. James Massie (UNCA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4