NEWARK, N.J. - The Lipscomb Bisons men’s tennis players continued their hot play on Friday as they started the ASUN Conference portion of the season with a 6-1 win over NJIT.
The win marks the Bisons third straight victory this season and the first time they’ve won their ASUN Conference opener since 2014.
“It's huge and gets the ball rolling for us,” Bisons head coach Mario Hernandez said. “Saturday will present new challenges but we'll be ready.
“The guys were focused and disciplined with their play, which is exactly what we asked of them. We’re proud of the way they did their job out there against NJIT.”
Lipscomb (5-7) got things going early as it took the doubles point with wins at the top two lines.
The Bisons were able to keep things rolling as they went into singles action, taking five of the six matches, including the matches at the top four lines.
Playing at the top spot, Rob Mitchell battled for the win in just his second match since returning to the lineup. The senior dropped the opening set to Aleksa Petrovic but rallied to win it 5-7, 6-2, 6-2.
Alejandro Manzanares won his fourth consecutive match as he defeated Jan Cimrman 6-3, 6-4 at the second spot.
At the third line, Victor Chaw cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over Lukas Zvikas.
In the tightest match of the night, Daniel Cardenas and Zac Castagna split the first two sets in tiebreaks before Cardenas was able to win the match 7-6, 6-7, (10-4).
Thais Minet rounded out things for the Bisons with his 6-4, 7-5 win over Pablo Arrutia.
After a bit of a slow start this season, Hernandez can see the confidence growing in his team after three wins in a row. However, his team also knows that wins won’t come easy moving forward.
“Going into the match, the guys were prepared and looking confidant,” Hernandez said. “Another win helps, but we won't take anything for granted. We have to keep working because we want more than just one win.”
The Bisons look to continue the win streak as they head to South Carolina for a meeting with USC-Upstate in Spartanburg at 2 p.m.. The Spartans enter the match at 4-11 after losing their conference opener 5-2 to Kennesaw State on Wednesday.
Lipscomb 6 – NJIT 1
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Aleksa Petrovic/Jan Cimrman (NJIT) 7-6(8)
- Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Lukas Zvikas/Zac Castagna (NJIT) 6-3
- Richard Rangga/Pablo Arrutia (NJIT) def. Jorge Ortegon/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-6
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Aleksa Petrovic (NJIT) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Jan Cimrman (NJIT) 6-3, 6-4
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Lukas Zvikas (NJIT) 6-0, 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Zac Castagna (NJIT) 7-6, 6-7, (10-4)
- Richard Rangga (NJIT) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 7-6, 4-6, (13-11)
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. Pablo Arrutia (NJIT) 6-4, 7-5