NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team was unable to capitalize on strong play at the top on Thursday morning as they fell to Stetson 4-2 at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
In an effort to decide the match before any potential weather moved through, the teams started with singles play rather than the traditional format of playing doubles first.
Senior Rob Mitchell and junior Alejandro Manzanares picked up wins at the top two singles lines, making both players 3-0 in conference play.
However, the Bisons were unable to convert on some key points at the last four lines to pull out the win, as two of the matches went the full three sets.
Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez likes the level his guys are playing at, but knows they can play at a level to win these matches.
“I think for the most part our guys are playing at a good level,” Hernandez said. “But we need some guys to figure out how deep they're going to dig to try and clinch the win for the team. We've got the ability to do some great things this year but we need to believe that and be ready to earn our wins.”
While the Bisons rely on the leadership of Mitchell and Manzanares through their results in matches, Hernandez hopes the rest of the team can draw from the examples they set.
“They competed very well and displayed the grit, fight, and confidence we need from all our players,” Hernandez said.
Lipscomb (5-9, 1-2) looks to even up the conference record on Saturday as they host North Florida.
With four matches left on the season, Hernandez knows there’s still time for his team to achieve the goals they set at the start of the season and wants his guys to go all in on them.
“Guys need to not be afraid of putting everything out there and possibly coming up short,” Hernandez said. “This is competition.
“You might win, you might lose. We have nothing to protect and need to go after whatever goals we have.”
Play against the Ospreys is set to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Stetson 4 – Lipscomb 2
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) vs. Loic Blanco/Colter Decoste (STET) DNP
- Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) vs. Angus Bradshaw/William Shkrob (STET) DNP
- Daniel Cardenas/Jorge Ortegon (LIP) vs. John Horoz Garner/Coilin Macnamara (STET) DNP
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Loic Blanco (STET) 7-5, 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Graham Ball (STET) 6-3, 6-1
- Angus Bradshaw (STET) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- William Shkrob (STET) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-6(4), 6-4
- Coilin Macnamara (STET) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
- Colter Decoste (STET) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 7-6, 3-6, 6-2