NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to North Florida on Saturday in a match that was much closer than the score would indicate.
North Florida (11-6, 3-0) took the early doubles point with wins at the second and third lines, but the Bisons were able to make things interesting as they went through singles play at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Despite the loss, Bisons head coach Mario Hernandez can take positives away from the match.
“There are many more positives to draw from this match against a good team, but nobody is satisfied,” Hernandez said. “That isn't a negative but more a positive because we know what our potential is, but it's time to realize that potential instead of talking about it. I’m confident this group can step up and do it.”
Lipscomb (5-10, 1-3) took two matches in singles play and forced two more into a third set, but we unable to pull them out for the win.
Rob Mitchell continued his hot streak to start conference play as he moved to a perfect 4-0 in singles with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Jack Findel-Hawkins.
Daniel Cardenas also picked up a win playing at the fourth line with a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Lasse Muscheites.
Alejandro Manzanares and Victor Chaw kept the Bisons alive as they went into three sets in their matches, but the Ospreys were able to seal the win with third set victories.
Hernandez remains confident in his team’s abilities, but wants to see more from them as they try to close out matches and as they finish out their regular season in the next two weeks.
“There's no secret formula, just have to keep fighting and pushing yourself in the third set,” Hernandez said. “It's a mentality and fighting spirit. We need to keep improving in this area but the guys were much better today.
“We have a good team but we can still be much better and get even more out of all our guys. Once we do that, these close matches will start going in our favor. We have to believe and keep striving for that.”
The Bisons travel to Florida next week as they’ll take a break from conference play on Friday with a match against Florida Atlantic before they take on Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday.
North Florida 5 – Lipscomb 2
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) vs. Jack Findel-Hawkins/Jefta Kecic (UNF) 5-4, DNF
- Lasse Muscheites/Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) 6-1
- Jonathan Deautriell/Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. Daniel Cardenas/Jorge Ortegon (7-5)
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) 7-5, 6-1
- Jefta Kecic (UNF) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-4, 6-7, (10-6)
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Lasse Muscheites (UNF) 6-3, 6-3
- Sahil Deshmuhk (UNF) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
- Johnathan Deautriell (UNF) def. George Wong (LIP) 6-3, 6-2