BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team took a break from conference play on Friday as they dropped a 5-2 decision to Florida Atlantic.
The Bisons took the lead with the doubles point, but were unable to sustain it as the Owls bounced back in singles play.
“Our guys fought extremely hard against a good team in FAU,” Bisons head coach Mario Hernandez said. “I think we made some progress despite the loss. We will be ready for FGCU Saturday.”
Lipscomb (5-11, 1-3) jumped out to a quick lead winning the doubles point with victories at the second and third lines.
Doubles play is a focus for every team, as it can often be the decisive point in a match. Hernandez wants to see his team show the same intensity they played with against FAU as they head into their final matches.
“The intensity, fight, and focus on executing our doubles has to be the same,” Hernandez said. “If we do that, we'll give ourselves the best chance possible.”
Florida Atlantic (16-5) bounced back in singles play taking five of the six matches.
The Bisons lone win in singles action came as freshman Jorge Ortegon was able to outlast the Owls’ Arthur Stefani in three sets for a 6-0, 2-6, 6-4 win.
Lipscomb gets back into conference play on Saturday in Fort Myers for a meeting with Florida Gulf Coast. Heading into Saturday’s 5 p.m. match, Hernandez’s message to his team remains the same.
“I want them to be selfless and fight for your teammates,” Hernandez said. “It’s going to be a great match Saturday night.”
Florida Atlantic 5 – Lipscomb 2
- Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff/Remi Chancerel (FAU) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) 7-5
- Rob Mitchell/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Felipe Frias/Arthur Stefani (FAU) 6-3
- Thais Minet/Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Gerald Nickerson/Stefan Burnett (FAU) 6-2
- Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff (FAU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 7-5, 2-6, (10-5)
- Remi Chanceral (FAU) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-2, 6-3
- Anthony Schohn (FAU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- Felipe Frias (FAU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-0, 6-4
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Arthur Stefani (FAU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
- Ignacio Jimenez (FAU) def. George Wong (LIP) 6-0, 6-1