FORT MYERS, Fla. – It was a dreary weekend in the “Sunshine State” for the Lipscomb men’s tennis team as they dropped Saturday’s match 5-2 to Florida Gulf Coast.
After losing the doubles point, the Bisons battled in singles play but were unable to pull out the decisive matches for the win.
“It was an extremely hard fought match that didn't go our way,” Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez said. “We can do more in order to change the outcome of those matches.”
Lipscomb (5-12, 1-4) got wins at the second and third lines and made things interesting into singles play.
Junior Alejandro Manzanares continued his strong play in conference action with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 win at the second line over Mateo Ruiz.
At the third line, freshman Victor Chaw picked up another win for the Bisons with his 7-5, 6-2 win over Ezequiel Cerrini.
Lipscomb saw two more matches go the full three sets at the fourth and sixth lines, but were unable to pull out wins.
At the top spot, No. 118 Rob Mitchell saw perfect record in conference snapped as he lost both sets in a tiebreak.
With just one match remaining on the schedule the Bisons will be looking for a win to secure a spot in the Atlantic Sun Championship next week as they host Kennesaw State. Saturday’s match at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center is set to begin at noon.
“It's in our hands more than we think,” Hernandez said. “We need to push ourselves to get through these battles.”
Florida Gulf Coast 5 – Lipscomb 2
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Oliver Landert/Felipe Ramirez (FGCU) 6-3
- Andres Alfonzo/Ezequiel Cerrini (FGCU) def. Rob Mitchell/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-2
- Mateo Ruiz/Javier Fernandez (FGCU) def. Thais Minet/Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 7-6
1.Felipe Ramirez (FGCU) def. No. 118 Rob Mitchell (LIP) 7-6, 7-6
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Mateo Ruiz (FGCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Ezequiel Cerrini (FGCU) 7-5, 6-2
- Andres Alfonzo (FGCU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
- Javier Fernandez (FGCU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
- Austin Bates (FGCU) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6