NASHVILLE, Tenn. - If Sunday’s matchup between the Lipscomb and Vanderbilt men’s tennis team had been strictly a doubles contest, the Bisons would have fared very well against their SEC opponent.
Despite winning two of three doubles matches against the Commodores, Lipscomb dropped all six singles matches in a 6-1, season-opening loss at Currey Tennis Center.
“Vanderbilt’s a great team,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernandez said. “This was the best way to test ourselves early. To win the doubles point in our first match is in line with everything we’ve been preaching.”
Alejandro Mazanares and Victor Chaw downed Vanderbilt’s Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe by a score of 6-3, while Jorge Ortegon and Daniel Cardenas topped Lachlan McPhee and Baker Newman, 6-3.
“The team should grab a lot of confidence from this performance,” Hernandez said. “We took a step forward and accomplished our goal of executing our plan. This puts us in a positive frame of mind.”
Chaw went wire-to-wire with Klinger in singles play, ultimately dropping a 7-5, 7-5 match.
“Victor was our brightest spot in the singles,” Hernandez said. “He was playing a quality opponent in Cameron Klinger and was right there at the end. The match could have gone either way.”
Freshmen Francesco Tacconi and Pedro Uribe each made their spring tennis debuts. For Tacconi, it was his first-ever match in a Lipscomb uniform after joining the squad two weeks ago.
“It was great for (the freshmen) to get exposure against an SEC-level team,” Hernandez said. “With time, they’re both going to be tough for us.”
Lipscomb will look to bounce back next Saturday when Gardner-Webb comes to town. The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. at Richland Country Club.
“We’ll try to make some adjustments in our singles,” Hernandez said. “Some of the younger guys are still getting used to the indoor tennis. We’ve just got to keep our standards high to keep getting better.”
Vanderbilt 6, Lipscomb 1
1) Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LU) def. Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VU); 6-3
2) Jorge Ortegon/Daniel Cardenas (LU) def. Lachlan McPhee/Baker Newman (VU); 6-3
3) Daniel Valent/George Harwell (VU) def. Francesco Tacconi/Pedro Uribe (LU); 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1*
1) No. 50 Daniel Valent (VU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LU); 6-1, 6-4
2) Cameron Klinger (VU) def. Victor Chaw (LU); 7-5, 7-5
3) Billy Rowe (VU) def. Jorge Ortegon (LU); 6-2, 6-4
4) Max Freeman (VU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LU); 6-3, 7-5
5) Panu Virtanen (VU) def, Francesco Tacconi (LU); 6-1, 6-1
6) George Harwell (VU) def. Pedro Uribe (LU); 8-2
Order of finish:
5, 3, 1, 4*, 2, 6