NASHVILLE, Tenn.- The persistent focus on doubles play that Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernandez preached throughout the fall season paid instant dividends for the Bisons at Vanderbilt last week.
But despite winning the doubles point against the Commodores, Lipscomb dropped all six singles matches in a 6-1 loss.
Saturday brought a new opportunity, and, behind a pair of doubles victories and singles wins from Victor Chaw, Jorge Ortegon and Daniel Cardenas, Lipscomb topped Gardner-Webb by a score of 4-3 at Richland Country Club.
“For the team to come back out and win the doubles point again was excellent,” Hernandez said. “We focused a little bit more on singles this week, and I thought that showed, especially at the top (of the lineup).”
The victory marked Lipscomb’s first of the season and its first-ever win over the Runnin’ Bulldogs, who had emerged as the victor in all three prior meetings between the two schools.
“This was a match that we knew was going to be tough,” Hernandez said. “This gets the monkey off our back and shows what our guys are capable of doing.”
For the second straight week, the doubles teams of Chaw and Alejandro Manzanares and Ortegon and Cardenas pulled out victories.
Chaw and Manzanares took down Gardner-Webb’s pairing of Paul Hogan and Stefano Puga by a score of 6-2, while Ortegon and Cardenas breezed their way to a 6-1 victory over Maximilian Scholl and Breno Plentz.
“I didn’t feel any hesitation from (the doubles teams),” Hernandez said. “They’re playing their style and trusting what they know they can do under pressure.”
Lipscomb will play its second-straight home match next Saturday when the Austin Peay Governers come to town. Play is scheduled to begin at Richland Country Club at 5 p.m.
Lipscomb 4, Gardner-Webb 3
1. Maximilian Scholl (GW) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
2. Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Millov Hurrion (GW) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7)
3. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Paul Hogan (GW) 6-0, 7-6 (5)
4. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Breno Plentz (GW) 6-4, 6-4
5. Adam Schmidt (GW) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-4, 4-6
6. Ross Gilbert (GW) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 8-4
1. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Paul Hogan and Stefano Puga (GW) 6-2
2. Jorge Ortegon/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Maximilian Scholl and Breno Plentz (GW) 6-1
3. Pedro Uribe/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) vs. Miller Hurrion/Adam Schmidt (GW) unfinished