BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – After downing rival Belmont on Friday, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team was in position for its second straight victory on Sunday at the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
It was not to be. The Blazers (6-4) used singles victories in the No. 1, 3, 5 and 6 spots to squeak past the Bisons, 4-3.
Sophomore Victor Chaw continued his strong spring with a 6-2, 5-7, 7-5 victory over UAB’s Stefan Gonzalez. Chaw is now 8-1 in singles play.
Senior Daniel Cardenas was the only other Bison player to find victory in singles. The Cali, Colombia native took down UAB’s Kenton Parton by a score of 7-5, 6-3.
Lipscomb (3-7) clinched the doubles point for its third-consecutive outing. The team of Chaw and senior Alejandro Manzanares defeated UAB’s Gonzalez and Tim Dollman, 7-5. Bisons sophomore Jorge Ortegon and freshman Francesco Tacconi defeated Henry Paiste and Giovani Pasini by a score of 6-3 in the No. 2 spot.
Sunday, March 4: UAB 4, Lipscomb 3
- Tim Dollman (UAB) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LU) 6-4, 6-3
- Victor Chaw (LU) def. Stefan Gonzalez (UAB) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
- Anru Fourie (UAB) def. Jorge Ortegon (LU) 6-2, 6-3
- Daniel Cardenas (LU) def. Kenton Parton (UAB) 7-5, 6-3
- Giovani Pasini (UAB) def. Pedro Uribe (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Tom El Safadi (UAB) def. George Wong (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LU) def. Tim Dollman/Stefan Gonzalez (UAB) 7-5
- Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LU) def. Henry Paiste/Giovani Pasini (UAB) 6-3
- Kenton Parton/Anru Fourie (UAB) def. Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LU) 7-5
The Bisons will be back at home next weekend as the Detroit Titans come to town. Match time is set for 10 a.m. at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Friday.