NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Five of the seven losses suffered by the Lipscomb men’s tennis team this spring have come by a single point.
On Friday morning, the Bisons left nothing to chance and easily dispatched the Detroit Titans by a score of 4-0 at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
“It’s been a lot of really close matches this season,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernandez said. “We’ll never give up on the season because we believe in ourselves. That’s the big thing.”
Lipscomb was led in singles by Alejandro Manzanares, Victor Chaw and Jorge Ortegon, who each won their matches. Chaw improved to 9-1 overall with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Detroit’s Luka Sojkic.
“Our top three guys have been very consistent,” Hernandez said. “Victor is about as confident as he can be right now. Alejandro is coming into his own in the No. 1 position, which is always an adjustment.”
Hernandez also pointed out the consistency that Ortegon has shown in singles play thus far. The sophomore from Monterrey, Mexico, is now 7-4 on the season.
“Jorge deserves a lot of credit for his transformation from last spring to this spring,” Hernandez said. “We always knew he could do it, but it’s nice to see him coming on so well.”
The doubles team of Chaw and Manzanares extended their winning streak to five with a 6-4 victory over Detroit’s Nathan Ponton and Sojkic. Senior Daniel Cardenas and freshman Pedro Uribe also teamed up for a doubles win to clinch the point for the Bisons.
“They’re such a good team together, so I can just let them run with it,” Hernandez said of Chaw and Manzanares. “I trust them and their tennis IQ. We also keep winning at either No. 2 or No. 3, which is promising.”
Friday, March 9: Lipscomb 4, Detroit 0
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Nathan Ponton (DET) 7-6, 6-3
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Luka Sojkic (DET) 6-4, 6-4
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Jenya Sirous (DET) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) vs. Gvidas Motuzas (DET) 7-6 (1), 5-4. unfinished
- Pedro Uribe (LIP) vs. Alvaro Arce (DET) 6-4, 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
- Francesco Tacconi (LIP) vs. Adam Zychowicz (DET) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Nathan Ponton/ Luka Sojkic (DET) 6-4
- Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) vs. Alvaro Arce/Jenya Sirous (DET) unfinished
- Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Gvidas Motuzas/Adam Zychowicz (DET) 6-3
Lipscomb will have a few days off to prepare for its three-match slate next weekend. The road trip includes stops at Georgia Southern (Thursday, March 15), Wofford (Friday, March 16) and the Citadel (Sunday, March 16). The Bisons have dropped all six of their road matches this season.
“We’ll train here and then hit the road,” Hernandez said. “What can we do to get us over the edge on the road? These all strong teams, and the matches can go either way. We just need to find that next gear.”