SPARTANBURG, S.C – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team spent its Spring Break on the courts, splitting a pair of road matches to improve to 5-8 on the season.
After dropping a 4-3 contest to Georgia Southern (11-8) on Thursday, Lipscomb cruised past Wofford in a 5-2 victory on Friday afternoon. Lipscomb’s win over the Terriers (8-4) marked its first road victory of the season.
“We managed to stick with our plan and it worked out,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernandez said. “It was huge for us to get a win on the road (at Wofford). We have some things that we need to improve, but I feel strong going into conference play.”
Sophomore Victor Chaw continued his impressive campaign by picking up singles wins in both matches to improve his season record to 10-2.
“He’s playing unbelievably well,” Hernandez said of Chaw. “His growth from last fall to this spring has been huge. Our goal is to take the pressure off him and get more consistency out of the rest of the lineup.”
Senior Daniel Cardenas also went 2-0 on the week with wins over Georgia Southern’s Pascal Wagemaker and Wofford’s Parks Scohen.
The doubles team of Cardenas and freshman Pedro Uribe won both of its matches as well. The duo took a 6-3 victory over Georgia Southern on Thursday and followed it with another 6-3 win over Wofford on Friday.
Lipscomb (5-8) has relied heavily on its freshman – Uribe and Francesco Tacconi – and Hernandez said he believes that experience will pay dividends for the team in the future.
“Our freshmen are learning,” Hernandez said. “The experience that they’re gaining is invaluable. We’re battle tested and we’re going use that as a strength.”
Thursday, March 15: Georgia Southern 4, Lipscomb 3
- Eddie Landin (GS) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Artemie Amari (GS) 6-2, 6-4
- Diego Finkelstein (GS) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 7-6, 6-1
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Pascal Wagemaker (GS) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Santiago Suarez (GS) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Carlos Garcia (GS) 6-1, 6-0
- Diego Finkelstein/Eddie Landin (GS) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) 7-5
- Artemie Amari/Stefano Di Aloy (GS) def. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 7-5
- Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Murphy McCullough/Pascal Wagemaker (GS) 6-3
Friday, March 16: Lipscomb 5, Wofford 2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Lucas Cerbelli (WOF) 7-5, 6-4
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Julian Chousa (WOF) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Edu Villar (WOF) 7-5, 6-4
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Parks Schoen (WOF) 6-1, 7-6
- Kyle Barr (WOF) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
- Omar Williams (WOF) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-2, 7-5
- Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Julian Chousa/John Crawford (WOF) 7-6
- Lucas Cerbelli/Jack Thomas (WOF) def. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-1
- Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Omar Williams/Javi Casasolas (WOF) 6-3
Lipscomb will open its ASUN conference schedule with a trip to Kennesaw State next Saturday, March 24. The match will begin at 11 a.m. in Kennesaw, Georgia.
“Everyone has a little bit of juice going into this part of the season,” Hernandez said of his team. “We’ve had a tough non-conference slate, but now we’re going in to conference (play) with a chance to prove ourselves.”