KENNESAW, Ga. – Lipscomb freshman tennis players Francesco Tacconi and Pedro Uribe have seen plenty of on-court action in their first spring season.
After some struggles, that experience is starting to pay off.
Tacconi and Uribe each won their singles matches to boost Lipscomb to a 4-2 victory over Kennesaw State on Saturday’s in the team’s ASUN opener at the Betty Siegel Courts.
“They’ve lost some high-pressure sets with matches on the line,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Herandez said of his youngsters. “But we’ve talked about those (losses) and tried to turn them into positives. It was nice to see them both come through for the team.”
Tacconi took down Kennesaw State’s Drew Lahey in two sets (6-4, 6-4), while Uribe defeated Harrison Wood by a score of 6-1, 7-6 (8-6).
Coming off his first ASUN Player of the Week award, sophomore Victor Chaw did not disappoint. The Peru native downed Lucas De Torres Curth by a score of 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) in singles to improve his record to 11-2.
Chaw also teamed with senior Alejandro Manzanares for a 6-3 doubles victory to start the day. The duo is now 8-3 on the season.
“They complement each other very well,” Hernandez said. “They have their style and they trust their style.”
Saturday, March 24: Lipscomb 4, Kennesaw State 2
1. Fermin Calvo Barcelo (KSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-0, 6-3
2. Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Lucas deTorres Curth (KSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Corey Smith (KSU) vs. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 4-6, unfinished
4. Bryan Triana (KSU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-5, 6-2
5. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) def. Drew Lahey (KSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Harrison Wood (KSU) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
1. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Fermin Calvo Barcelo/Lucas deTorres Curth (KSU) 6-3
2. Drew Lahey/Bryan Triana (KSU) def. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-1
3. Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Corey Smith/Harrison Wood (KSU) 6-3
Lipscomb will host Florida Gulf Coast (5-8) on Thursday, March 29. Match time is set for 2 p.m. at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Center, following conclusion of the Lipscomb-FGCU women’s match. If the matches are moved indoors due to rain, updates will be posted on LipscombSports.com and to the team’s Twitter (@LipscombMTEN).
The Bisons are out to avenge their 4-2 loss to the Eagles in last year’s ASUN tournament final. In addition to last season's success, FGCU made an NCAA tournament appearance in 2015.
“FGCU is always a great match,” Hernandez said. “We’ve always played them close. I find match to be fun, but we want to try and make a name for ourselves, too.”