Jacksonville, Fla. – Despite a strong doubles performance, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team simply couldn’t keep pace with North Florida in singles play at the UNF Tennis Complex on Thursday afternoon.
The Ospreys (10-8, 5-0 ASUN) used victories from their top five singles slots to take a 5-2 win over the Bisons.
“I thought that we did a pretty good job of improving some things we needed to focus on from (last week’s loss) to Florida Gulf Coast,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernandez said. “I’m happy that the guys made those adjustments and competed well the whole time.”
Freshman Pedro Uribe was the lone Lipscomb athlete to win a singles match, although his contest finished well after the match had been decided. The Columbian topped North Florida’s Joe Ellis (6-3, 4-6, 7-6) in a super tiebreaker.
“He’s starting to hit his stride in the bottom of the lineup,” Hernandez said of Uribe. “He’s done an amazing job of competing every single time he plays, and he’s going to have so much valuable experience after this season is over.”
The Bisons (6-10, 1-2 ASUN) started off the day with a pair victories in doubles action. Senior Alejandro Manzanares and sophomore Victor Chaw downed North Florida’s team of Jefta Kecic and Lasse Muscheites by a score of 6-3.
Jorge Ortegon and Francesco Tacconi also topped the Ospreys, 6-3, to power Lipscomb’s to the doubles point.
“Our doubles was really strong today,” Hernandez said. “Victor and Alejandro did what we expected, and our No. 2 spot gave a strong mental effort.”
North Florida 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Jefta Kecic (UNF) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 7-6, 6-4
2. Lasse Muscheites (UNF) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-4, 6-1
3. Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
4. Till Von Winning (UNF) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Nilo Duarte (UNF) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
6. Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Joe Ellis (UNF) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
1. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Jefta Kecic/Lasse Muscheites (UNF) 6-3
2. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) def. Sahil Deshmukh/Till Von Winning (UNF) 6-3
3. Nilo Duarte/Alberto De Meo (UNF) vs. Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIP) 5-5, unfinished
Lipscomb has a day to regroup before taking on Stetson on Saturday in Deland. Match time is set for 1 p.m. and it can be tracked with live stats HERE.
“Stetson’s a good team,” Hernandez said. “They have a strong lineup, but we have to expect that. We’ll try and prepare tomorrow and then give it everything we’ve got on Saturday.”