DELAND, Fla. – Jorge Ortegon and Pedro Uribe each won their singles matches, but it wasn’t enough as the Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 contest to Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center.
“We competed on all six courts, so we can’t hang our heads,” Lipscomb coach Geoff Hernadez said. “We have played three tough Florida schools, and now we have some big matches with (ASUN tournament seeding) on the line.”
The match was originally scheduled for Saturday, but severe weather forced the match to be suspended just after doubles play had begun.
Alejandro Manzanares and Victor Chaw defeated Stetsons’s Linus Bergevi and Colter DeCoste by a score of 6-2 in doubles action, but the Hatters won the No. 2 and No. 3 matches to clinch the point.
Freshman Pedro Uribe won his second consecutive match with a 7-5, 7-6 victory over Stetson’s William Shkrob.
Sophomore Jorge Ortegon was the only other Bison to emerge with a win, as he took down Antoine Sanchez by a score of 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8).
“Jorge played at the highest level I’ve seen him play all semester,” Hernandez said. “Pedro is really settling into his game as well.”
Lipscomb (6-11, 1-3 ASUN) currently sits in fourth place in the ASUN standings, but the Bisons have yet to clinch a seed for the conference tournament.
“It’s still kind of open,” Hernandez said of the standings. “We can still have a strong finish, so that was our big message. We need to have a short memory and move on.”
Stetson 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Malik Bhatnagar (STET) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
2. Loic Blanco (STET) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Antoine Sanchez (STET) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Angus Bradshaw (STET) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Linus Bergevi (STET) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
6. Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. William Shkrob (STET) 7-5, 7-6
1. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Linus Bergevi/Colter DeCoste (STET) 6-2
2. Malik Bhatnagar/Angus Bradshaw (STET) def. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-2
3. Loic Blanco/Antoine Sanchez (STET) def. Pedro Uribe/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 7-6 (7-2)
Lipscomb will return home to close out its regular season slate this week. USC Upstate comes to town on Thursday, April 12 at 10 a.m., before NJIT pays a visit on Saturday, April 14 at 3 p.m. for Senior Day. Both matches will be played at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
“We’re excited about playing at our own courts on Thursday,” Hernandez said. “We’ll go into these matches confident, but we’ll have to execute. There are no easy wins in this conference. We’ll train smart over the next few days.”