JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis picked the wrong day for a subpar performance.
On a windy Friday morning at North Florida, the Kennesaw State Owls dealt the Bisons a 4-1 loss in the first round of the ASUN tournament. The defeat dropped Lipscomb to 8-12 overall and ended their season.
“(Kennesaw State) out-competed us today, and that’s why they won,” Hernandez said. “It was just one of those days.”
Sophomore Jorge Ortegon picked up Lipscomb’s lone singles win in the No. 3 spot, downing Kennesaw State senior Corey Smith, 6-4, 6-3.
“If you look where Jorge was during last year’s tournament to where he is now, you’ll notice a ton of improvement,” Hernandez said. “That’s a testament to his work ethic. Having someone like Jorge gives me excitement for the future.”
On the doubles side, the duo of Daniel Cardenas and Pedro Uribe defeated Smith and Lucas de Torres Curth by a score of 6-3, but that’s all the Bisons would manage.
ASUN Second Team All-Conference selection Victor Chaw was leading Curth in his match by a score of 7-5, 5-3, but it went unfinished as the Owls had already clinched the overall victory. Chaw finished his stellar sophomore campaign with a 14-4 singles record and a 12-4 doubles record.
Cardenas, Uribe and senior Alejandro Manzanares each dropped their respective singles matches, and the Owls also took the doubles point with victories at No. 1 and No. 2.
The Bisons will lose their No. 1 and No. 4 singles players in Mazanares and Chaw to graduation in May. Hernandez said the duo will be missed, but that they will also be remembered for their contirbitons to program.
“I want to thank Daniel and Alejandro for everything they have done for the program,” Hernandez said. “Those two guys are really special to me, and they helped put Lipscomb tennis on the map even more than it already was.”
No. 5 Kennesaw State 4, No. 4 Lipscomb 1
- Fermin Calvo Barcelo (KSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIPM) 6-4, 6-0
- Victor Chaw (LIPM) vs. Lucas deTorres Curth (KSU) 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
- Jorge Ortegon (LIPM) def. Corey Smith (KSU) 6-4, 6-3
- Bryan Triana (KSU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIPM) 6-3, 6-3
- Drew Lahey (KSU) def. Pedro Uribe (LIPM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
- Francesco Tacconi (LIPM) vs. Manuel Castellanos (KSU) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
- Fermin Calvo Barcelo/Manuel Castellanos (KSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Victor Chaw (LIPM) 6-2
- Bryan Triana/Drew Lahey (KSU) def. Jorge Ortegon/Francesco Tacconi (LIPM) 6-4
- Daniel Cardenas/Pedro Uribe (LIPM) def. Lucas deTorres Curth/Corey Smith (KSU) 6-3
Lipscomb’s season concluded with the loss to the Owls on Friday. Hernandez said that despite the loss, he is already looking forward to next season.
“We lost a lot of tight matches, so we have plently of motivation to do better next year,” he said. “We did get the fourth seed and we didn’t have to scrap into the tournament, which was big. Moving ahead, we’re going to have to find ways to be better and climb the ladder in our conference.”