LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team opened its spring season Friday with a 5-1 defeat to Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in Louisville, Kentucky.
“Today’s match was a really good starting place for us as a team,” Lipscomb head coach Geoff Hernandez said. “You always want to start a season off in a certain direction and on a certain path, and we talked about that before the match. I think we did that, but we have room to grow on that path.
“We are definitely heading in the right direction.”
The Bisons got off to a great start against the Cardinals by winning the doubles point to get on the board first. After Francesco Tacconi and George Wong dropped the first match, 6-2, Lipscomb came back to earn wins on courts 1 and 2.
The ITA’s No. 57 doubles pairing of Victor Chaw and Pablo Caffarena took down UofL’s top duo Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and Fabien Salle, 6-4.
Jorge Ortegon and Pedro Uribe won the deciding match in a tiebreaker 7-6.
“It was good to beat Louisville in doubles,” Hernandez said. “Our confidence level in doubles is so high and we are going for it. We grip it and rip it and the guys come up clutch. They have a lot of confidence and I could feel it roll over into singles.
“Louisville is a very deep team and they have a good program. It was a really good match and they guys walked off with their heads held high and shoulders back and ready to go again.”
Despite winning two of three doubles matches against the Cardinals, Lipscomb dropped its first four singles matches in straight sets to clinch the win for Louisville. Moments later the home team picked up the final victory of the match on court six.
At the top singles spot, Chaw picked up where he left off in 2018. The junior was up 7-6 (7-3), 2-1 and on pace to get the point over Louisville’s Morin-Kougoucheff before the match was called.
Lipscomb will look to bounce back next weekend with a pair of matches. The Bisons will travel to Austin Peay on Friday at 2 p.m. before welcoming UAB at 5 p.m. on Saturday in the home opener.
“These first three matches are a perfect set up for us to really grow at different levels, but also maintain a super high standard,” Hernandez said. “We will keep pushing and work our way through the season.”
FINAL RESULTS: Louisville 5, Lipscomb 1
- #57 Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff/Fabien Salle (UofL) 6-4
- Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Brandon Lancaster/Alex Wesbrooks (UofL) 7-6
- Federico Gomez/Sergio Hernandez Ramierz (UofL) def. Francesco Tacconi/George Wong (LIP) 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (UofL) vs. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-7 (3-7), 1-2, unfinished
- #104 Brandon Lancaster (UofL) def. Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
- Fabien Salle (UofL) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
- Federico Gomez (UofL) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-3, 6-4
- Sergio Ramirez (UofL) def. Francesco Tacconi (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
- David Mizrahi (UofL) def. David Skrabut (LIP) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4, 3, 6