CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb men’s tennis went on the road Friday afternoon and swept Austin Peay 7-0 for its first win of the 2019 season at the Governors Tennis Center.
The dismantling marked the fifth-consecutive victory for the Bisons in the series and the second-straight sweep. The Govs’ (0-3) last win against Lipscomb came in 2014.
The Bisons picked up the doubles point for the second consecutive outing with victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots.
The duos of Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena and Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe each won their doubles match by a score of 6-2.
In singles action, Lipscomb earned straight-set sweeps in five of the six pairings. Chaw downed Almantas Ozelis 6-4, 6-2 in the top spot to earn his first singles decision of the year.
In the No. 2 slot, Caffarena came from behind to upend APSU’s Timo Kiesslich 5-7, 6-2, 10-5. In the fourth spot, Francesco Tacconi blanked Chad Woodham 6-0 in the first set, before getting the victory with a tight 7-5 win in set two.
Ortegon (6-1, 7-5), Uribe (6-2, 6-3) and David Skrabut (6-4, 6-3) helped the Bisons to a perfect day on the courts in the third, fourth and sixth slots.
Lipscomb will make its spring home debut on Saturday at 5 p.m. when it welcomes UAB to the Music City.
FINAL RESULTS: Lipscomb 7, Austin Peay 0
- Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Almantas Ozelis/Anton Damberg (APSU) 6-2
- Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Timo Kiesslich/Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-2
- Hunter Sanders/Chad Woodham (APSU) vs. Francesco Tacconi/David Skrabut (LIP) 4-5, unfinished
- 1. Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP) def. Anton Damberg (APSU) 6-1, 7-5
- Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-2, 6-3
- Francesco Tacconi (LIP) def. Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-0, 7-5
- David Skrabut (LIP) def. Hunter Sanders (APSU) 6-4, 6-3