NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell to Grand Canyon, 6-1, on Saturday at the Richland Country Club in Nashville, Tennessee.
“I have to give a lot of credit to Grand Canyon,” Lipscomb head coach Geoff Hernandez said. “They came out and had a great level of play in doubles to start and we kind of found ourselves in holes early.”
The Lopes, who improved to 6-1 with the victory, came out and took the doubles point early with 6-2 and 6-1 wins in second and third doubles, respectively.
In the top singles, Victory Chaw picked up a 6-3 victory in the first set against Lorenzo Fucile before dropping the next two frames 6-3.
“They just flat out outplayed us in doubles,” Hernandez said. “I thought we made a good push in singles in the first wave, but we didn’t make it hard enough on Grand Canyon on our home court. We have to do a better job taking advantage of our home schedule.”
Junior Pablo Caffarena recorded the lone win for the Bisons (3-3) on the day in No. 2 singles. He came from behind to knock off GCU’s Mathieu Rajaonah 3-6, 7-5, 6-4.
“I was proud of Pablo,” Hernandez said. “He faced a tough player and fought hard for the win. It was awesome to see him grind it out.”
Lipscomb returns to the court next weekend for a pair of home matches against Chattanooga on Friday (6:30 p.m.) and North Dakota on Saturday (5 p.m.).
Grand Canyon 6, Lipscomb 1
1. Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) vs. Lorenzo Fucile/Mathieu Rajaonah (GCU) 3-4, unfinished
2. Valentin Lang/Jakub Novak (GCU) def. Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-1
3. Lucas Grego/Freddie Grant (GCU) def. Michael Tougher/Jake Penny (LIP) 6-2
1. Lorenzo Fucile (GCU) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Mathieu Rajaonah (GCU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Valentin Lang (GCU) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lucas Grego (GCU) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
5. Freddie Grant (GCU) def. Jake Penny (LIP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6. Jakub Novak (GCU) def. David Skrabut (LIP) 6-4, 6-2