NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team wrapped up a pair of weekend tests Saturday night with splits at the Richland Country Club to improve to 4-4 on the season.
After dropping a 4-3 contest to Chattanooga (4-4) on Friday, Lipscomb cruised past North Dakota in a 5-2 victory on Saturday. The win over Fighting Hawks marked its second home victory of the season.
“We did a much better job today improving and building up the home-court advantage, as our team and crowd really brought great energy,” Lipscomb head coach Geoff Hernandez said.
Pedro Uribe and Jake Penny continued to improve on their campaigns by picking up singles wins in both matches on the weekend. Uribe moved to 4-4 on the season, while Penny went to 3-2.
The duo also picked up three doubles victories to combine for a 7-1 weekend for the Bisons.
On Saturday against the Fighting Hawks, sophomore David Skrabut picked up his first match-clinching victory as a Bison in the No. 6 spot with a 6-2, 6-3 sweep over UND’s Pavle Drobnjakovic.
“That was a great moment for David, as it would be for any player to close it out for their team,” Hernandez said. “We also had Victor (Chaw) bounce back and Jake Penny kept battling.
“We are a team that is continuing to learn so that we can put out a great product on the court in conference play.”
The doubles team of Penny and Tougher won both of their matches to help Lipscomb to its fifth doubles point of the season. The duo took a 6-4 victory over Chattanooga on Friday and followed with a thrilling 7-6(5) tiebreaker over North Dakota (2-2) on Saturday to clinch the point.
“There was a really good double point between both teams today,” Hernandez said. “It was one of the better ones I have ever been a part of with it coming down to two tiebreakers at the same time.
“We got another good performance from Michael and Jake and our ones bounced back.”
Lipscomb returns to action next weekend for another pair of matches. The Bisons will travel across town to Vanderbilt at 4 p.m. Friday before hosting St. John’s at 5 p.m. Saturday.
Friday, February 15: Chattanooga 4, Lipscomb 3
- Niklas Gerdes (UTC) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
- Tomas Rodriguez (UTC) def. Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- Kerim Hyatt (UTC) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-34
- Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Simon Bustamante (UTC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Jake Penny (LIP) def. Jacob Marshall (UTC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Pablo Llebeili (UTC) def. David Skrabut (LIP) 7-5, 6-3
- Kerim Hyatt/Simon Bustamante (UTC) def. Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 6-3
- Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Niklas Gerdes/Tomas Rodriguez (UTC) 7-6 (7-3)
- Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LIP) def. Jacob Marshall/Pablo Llebeili (UTC) 6-4
Saturday, February 16: Lipscomb 5, North Dakota 2
- Victor Chaw (LIP) def. Nejc Sitar (ND) 6-2, 6-2
- Lukas Buth (ND) def. Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
- Johnnie Carmichael (ND) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
- Jorge Uribe (LIP) def. Jake Kuhlman (ND) 6-1, 6-4
- Jake Penny (LIP) def. Davide Callegari (ND) 6-3, 6-4
- David Skrabut (LIP) def. Pavle Drobnjakovic (ND) 6-2, 6-3
- Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Nejc Sitar/Lukas Buth (ND) 6-4
- Davide Callegari/ Johnnie Carmichael (ND) def. Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) 7-6(5)
- Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LIP) def. Chuck Tang/Jake Kuhlman (ND) 7-6(5)