NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team hit a stumbling block this weekend, running into a pair of tough squads from the SEC and Big East that resulted in losses.
The Bisons ventured over to West End on Friday for a match with Vanderbilt (10-2) at the Currey Tennis Center. They were no match for the Commodores, however, as the home team cruised to a 4-0 victory without dropping a set.
Lipscomb then welcomed St. John’s University to town on Saturday for its final indoor match of the spring. The Red Storm (5-2) entered the afternoon on a 2-match losing streak, but they were able to outduel the Bisons for a 5-2 victory at Richland Country Club.
In doubles action, Jorge Ortegon and Pedro Uribe defeated Luka Sucevic and Andrei Crapcenco 6-4 at No. 2 to force a decisive third match. Lipscomb’s top pairing of Victor Chaw and Pablo Caffarena secured the point with a 7-5 win over Charlie James and Alan Nunez.
The duo improved to 6-2 on the season for Hernandez.
“Today was a tough match for us, but I thought we showed great fight,” Lipscomb head coach Geoff Hernandez said. “There was a good level on all of the courts, but they (St. John’s) were just too tough of an indoor team.
“We played well in the doubles, and brought good energy into the start of singles, but I thought St. John’s depth is what separated things.”
Caffarena was the only Bison to earn a victory in singles play with a 6-4, 7-6(1) victory at the No. 2 slot.
Lipscomb returns to action next weekend with a pair of local road contests. The Bisons will head to Cookeville on Friday, March 1 to take on Tennessee Tech at noon, before making the short trek up Belmont Boulevard to take on the Bruins at 10 a.m. Saturday.
“We now get to embrace going outdoors, which I think best suits us better,” Hernandez said. “They guys want to go at it and keep building and building. They are positive even after defeats, but they want to change it. Hopefully in this second half of the season we can step it up.”
Friday, Feb. 22: Vanderbilt 4, Lipscomb 0
- George Harwell (VANDY) vs. Victor Chaw (LIP) 7-6, 4-1, unfinished
- Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
- Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-2, 6-4
- Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-0, 6-4
- Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VANDY) vs. Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) 3-4, unfinished
- Adam Sraberg/Christiaan Worst (VANDY) def. Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-1
- George Harwell/Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LIP) 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3) Singles (4,3,2)
Saturday, Feb. 23: St. John’s 5, Lipscomb 2
- Andrei Crapcenco (SJU) def. Victor Chaw (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
- Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Alan Nunez Aguilera (SJU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
- Luka Sucevic (SJU) def. Jorge Ortegon (LIP) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
- Aditya Vashistha (SJU) def. Pedro Uribe (LIP) 6-1, 6-1
- Dusan Vukicevic (SJU) def. Jake Penny (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
- Ognjen Trejgut (SJU) def. David Skrabut (LIP) 6-1, 6-3
- Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP) def. Charlie James/Alan Nunez Aguilera (SJU) 7-5
- Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP) def. Luka Sucevic/Andrei Crapcenco (SJU) 6-4
- Aditya Vashistha/Ognjen Trejgut (SJU) def. Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LIP) 6-4