NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team continued its recent slide with a 5-2 loss to rival Belmont indoors Saturday night at the Centennial Sportsplex.
The Bruins (5-8) got the first point of the match by winning doubles in tiebreakers at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Pedro Uribe and Jorge Ortegon fell 7-6 before Jake Penny and Michael Tougher ultimately fell by the same score.
In singles, the Bisons (4-7) couldn’t seem to get the break as Belmont won a pair of three-set matches to seal the victory. Uribe got the Bisons on the board when he defeated Zak Khan 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7) on court No. 4. He moved to 5-6 on the year in singles with the victory.
On court No. 6 it was sophomore David Skrabut who won in straight sets 6-1, 7-5 over Jake Briggs for the second point of the match.
It was the first loss for Lipscomb against Belmont since 2012.
Lipscomb will return to action on March 11 with a 3 p.m. tilt with Presbyterian.
Belmont 5, Lipscomb 2
- Hendrik Inno(BELM) def. Victor Chaw (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
- Marko Ilic (BELM) def. Pablo Caffarena (LU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
- Joan Valy (BELM) def. Jorge Ortegon (LU) 7-5, 6-3
- Pedro Uribe (LU) def. Zak Khan (BELM) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7)
- Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. Jake Penny (LU) 6-3, 6-4
- David Skrabut (LU) def. Jake Briggs (BELM) 6-1, 7-5
- Marko Ilic/Hendrik Inno(BELM) vs. Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LU) 6-6, unfinished
- Zak Khan/Joan Valy (BELM) def. Pedro Uribe/Jorge Ortegon (LU) 7-6 (7-5)
- Grant Kelly/Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LU) 7-6