NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team ended its recent skid Monday with a 4-2 victory over Presbyterian after having more than a week of rest.
The Bisons (5-7) fell behind early after dropping the doubles point, despite a 6-2 win at No. 3 from Jake Penny and Michael Tougher.
In singles action, Lipscomb took four of the first five matches to clinch the victory get back on the winning track.
“Today was a good win for us,” Lipscomb head coach Geoff Hernandez said. “We needed to get a W on our home court and I liked the fashion in which we did it.
“We had match point in doubles and lost it, but we came back and won in the top of the lineup and at the bottom in singles. That’s what we need to do in order to be where we want to be.”
Victor Chaw battled PC’s Max Benson in a three-setter on the top line, before he ultimately won 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.
Pablo Caffarena (6-3, 6-4) and David Skrabut (6-3, 6-4) earned sweeps over the Blue Hose in the No. 2 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
“David is playing well at the bottom,” Hernandez said. “He’s really settling in and believing in himself.”
Pedro Uribe won the final point of the match for the Bisons on court No. 4 as he battled back to take down PC 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Lipscomb is back in action for one more match before ASUN Conference action begins. The Bisons will host Georgia Southern on Friday at 11 a.m.
“I am proud of the guys for this win and we are going to get back to work tomorrow and get better,” Hernandez said.
RESULTS: Lipscomb 4, Presbyterian 2
- Victor Chaw (LIP-M) def. BENSON, Max (PC) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
- Pablo Caffarena (LIP-M) def. CONDE, Alberto (PC) 6-3, 6-4
- Jorge Ortegon (LIP-M) vs. McKINNEY, Nicholas (PC) 7-6, 6-7, 3-0, unfinished
- Pedro Uribe (LIP-M) def. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
- ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. Jake Penny (LIP-M) 6-2, 6-2
- David Skrabut (LIP-M) def. SVENSSON, Elias (PC) 6-4, 6-4
- ALVAREZ, Oscar/BENSON, Max (PC) def. Victor Chaw/Pablo Caffarena (LIP-M) 7-6 (8-6)
- CONDE, Alberto/McKINNEY, Nicholas (PC) def. Jorge Ortegon/Pedro Uribe (LIP-M) 6-2
- Jake Penny/Michael Tougher (LIP-M) def. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J./MERCER, Vance (PC) 6-2