Track and field hits rough patch during final weekend meets
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Track and field hits rough patch during final weekend meets

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb track and field teams are returning home after a hectic weekend involving four separate meets.

The agenda shrunk for Saturday with the teams wrapping up the weekend at the EIU Big Blue Classic and the Florida Relays, but could not finish out the weekend as strong as expected.

At the Florida Relays, Gemikal Prude struggled in the high jump only clearing the bar at 2.06 meters in the final round, placing him sixth overall.

April Terry made it to the finals in the hammer throw, but couldn’t channel the extra power needed to take home the victory. She threw for a distance of 48.56 meters finishing 20th.

The highlight of the Florida Relays for the track and field squad came from the men's 4x400 meter relay team consisting of Tucker Peabody, Nelson Scott, Kenny Smith, and Colin Dempster. The group took first place in their heat and broke the school record in the event with their time of 3:13.23.

Those taking part in the EIU Big Blue Classic approached several roadblocks throughout day two of their competition as well.  

“Not a very successful outing for us at EIU,” said Luke Syverson, assistant coach for track and field. “We were pretty flat in all areas and didn’t take advantage of the better weather and opportunities.”

The Bisons have had a rough day at EIU, but the team still came home with a couple of notable performances.

Andrew Bosket clinched a personal record in the 800 meters after he finished the event in 1:52.76, which is also the leading time in the Atlantic Sun so far this season.

Bosket’s time, the second-fastest in school history, was just shy of the school record that was set in 1972 at 1:51.54.

“He ran a great race and made smart moves,” Syverson said.

Freshmen Jesse Rowe and Molly Crawford both logged strong personal records today as well. Rowe landed his new record in the discus with a toss of 36.26 meters while Crawford’s record was in the pole vault clearing a height of 3.00 meters.

The team will try to put this weekend’s meets behind them as they press forward and concentrate on what is yet to come the rest of the season.

“While we had a few people step up and perform, this will be a meet that we need to make sure we don’t repeat going into the last four meets before the A- Sun Championships in May if we want to continue the success we have been seeing,” Syverson said.

“Painful experiences sometimes are the best educator, if we choose to learn from them. I’m confident this team can do that.”