Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Nov. 15, 2006
The Lipscomb Lady Bisons volleyball team placed two players on the 2006 All-Atlantic Sun Conference First Team. Senior opposite Lindsey Rutherford from Hendersonville, Tenn., and senior libero Ann Mullins from Nashville were both voted to the squad by the conference coaches.
Rutherford's accomplishments this season include:
• Two-time Atlantic Sun Player of the Week
• All-Tournament Team at Magic City/Music City Invitational Tournament
• Only second player in school history to break 1,000 marks in both kills and digs.
• Season-high 23 kills in a five-game match vs. Campbell (Oct. 13)
• Posted 20 kills or more three times
• Double figures in kills in 15 matches
• Season-high 27 digs in a five-game match vs. Campbell (Oct. 13)
• Credited with 20 digs or more three times
• Double figures in digs 17 times
• Double-double in kills and digs 11 times
• Ninth in Atlantic Sun in digs (3.44 per game)
• 3-year captain
"Over the past four years Lindsey has always been one of the quiet leaders on our team," Lipscomb coach Brandon Rosenthal said. "We have asked her to step up her play more and more each year. And she has done that.
"But this year she has kind of come into her own. A lot of that is a credit to her desire. She is a tremendous athlete. It was just a matter of trying to make her a better volleyball player each year. This recognition is long overdue."
Rutherford is all-around athlete, which is a rarity at her position on the court.
"She is good at every skill," Rosenthal said. "Most of the time the players at her position are big players who are bangers. They hit and block O.K., but they don't pass well or play defense well.
"Lindsey is much smaller than most of those playing the right side. She is not what you would call a banger. She gets her kills in other ways. Her defense is tremendous. Her passing is tremendous. She is one of those players we are going to dearly miss because of her all-around play. Even when she has bad day hitting we have a hard time pulling her off the floor because of how valuable she is so many ways."
Mullins, a senior with another year of eligibility remaining, had the following accomplishments:
• All-Tournament selection at Magic City/Music City Tournament
• Ranked 11th nationally in NCAA Division I in digs with 6.16 per game
• Leads Atlantic Sun in digs with 647, an average of 6.16 per game
• Holds school record for digs, all-time
• Made 30 or more digs five times
• Season-high 37 digs in four-game match vs. Austin Peay (Sept. 26)
• Finished in double figures in digs in 28 of 29 matches
• Made 22 or more digs 17 times
"Ann just barely missed being in the top 10 nationally in digs," Rosenthal said. "She is a vocal leader, but she also allows her game to speak for itself.
"Ann knows how to play the game. There is no doubt about that. But there are a lot of people that know how to play the game. It is what you are willing to do past that, and Ann is always willing to go that extra little bit on the court."
Mullins is also a communicator on the court telling players and coaches what is going wrong as well as what is going right.
"She brings that extra something to the team," Rosenthal said. "For her to be named First Team All-Conference is a tremendous accomplishment. Her position is real simple - you pass and you dig. People don't realize just how solid a passer she really is. Having her in the game gives us a steady force."
All-Atlantic Sun First Team
Name School Position Class Hometown
Colleen Nilson Belmont S Jr. McHenry, Ill.
Katie Tobiasz Belmont RS Sr. Rocky River, Ohio
Jaye Schuler Belmont MH Jr. Lexington, Ill.
Jennifer Sartor ETSU MB Sr. Toronto, Canada
Ann Mullins Lipscomb L Sr. Nashville, Tenn.
Lindsey Rutherford Lipscomb OPP Sr. Hendersonville, Tenn.
Maegan Weisert UNF OH Jr. Virginia Beach, Va.
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|