Friday, December 17, 2010The Game
The Lipscomb University Bisons host the Kennesaw State Owls in Atlantic Sun action Saturday night in Allen Arena. The game is set to tip at approximately 8:15 p.m.
Lipscomb will seek to avenge its 72-69 first round loss to the No. 8 seed Owls in last year’s General Shale Brick Atlantic Sun Tournament.
While the Bisons have struggled on the defensive end for the second straight year allowing 78.9 points per contest, this year’s Bisons have been nearly unstoppable with the ball shooting 47.3 percent and scoring 83.9 points per game, eigth best in the nation.
Bisons senior forward Adnan Hodzic was named the Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Week after averaging 18 points and 9.5 rebounds in road wins against Austin Peay and Tennessee Tech. It was the fifth time in his career that he’s won the weekly award.
Hodzic scored 23 points, all in the second half, in Lipscomb’s 98-94 win at Tennessee Tech to become Lipscomb’s NCAA era leading scorer at 1,635 points. Junior Jordan Burgason led the Bisons at Tech with 28 points after connecting on seven three’s in the first half. Josh Slater scored 21 points. Lipscomb shot 67.3 percent on the night and only missed five shots in the second half.
Kennesaw State lost at Belmont on Thursday night 87-60. The Owls shot 33.3 percent while allowing Belmont to shoot 47.1 percent. Belmont dominated the boards 53-38. Belmont outscored the Owls 28-10 in the final 9:17 of the contest.
The series between the two schools is tied at five wins each. Lipscomb has won all four contests in Allen Arena.
- Lipscomb is 3-0 at home while Kennesaw is 0-5 on the road.
- Hodzic has scored in double figures in 65 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the nation.
- Last year the Bisons struggled on the defensive end allowing opponents to shoot 46.7 percent. This year Lipscomb holds its opponents to 44.8 percent shooting.
- After starting the year on a cold note shooting 32.5 percent (13-of-40) from the 3-point line, junior Jordan Burgason hit 7-of-12 attempts from downtown against Tennessee Tech.
- RPI: 49
- Basketball State: 58
- Sagarin Rating: 70
- Strength of Schedule: 123