Friday, January 20, 2012
ATLANTA – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team opened up their 2012 spring season on Friday afternoon with a 6-1 loss to Georgia State at the Woodruff PE Center in Atlanta.
Lipscomb’s lone point came from doubles play, when the Bison secured the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
"Certainly this was a tough first match in the way things transpired,” said Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris. “Coming out and winning the doubles point was a big lift and something that we can look forward to building on through the spring.”
Sophomore Miguel Cortez and junior Tanner Brown teamed up at No. 2 and pulled out an 8-6 victory over Ismael Lahlou and Thomas Cook.
At No. 3, junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar secured the point for the Bison with an 8-6 win over Juan Pablo Gutierrez and Sofiane Chevallier.
The Bison’s only doubles loss was at the No. 1 position, where junior Oliver Strecker and freshman Stuart Tierney fell to Victor Valente and Matias Hatem 8-6.
With a 1-0 lead, the Bison entered singles play, only to be swept by the Panthers 6-0 to cap their 6-1 overall loss.
“Unfortunately, we were not able to capitalize in the singles,” said Harris. “Losing three, three set matches shows us that we are competing and now it’s a matter of closing out these matches. In order for this team to accomplish what it is has set out to accomplish closing out these three set matches will be critical to our success for the rest of the spring."
Three Bison posted tough three-set losses. Strecker fell at No. 1 to Valente 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, while Salazar was defeated at No. 2 by Cook 5-7, 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Daniel Hernandez lost in a third set tie breaker to Michael Vallejo, falling 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (10-3).
At No. 3, Brown was defeated by Hatem 6-2, 6-2, and Shaw fell to Lahlou 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4. Tierney lost 6-1, 6-4 to Gutierrez at No. 5.
The Bison will remain in Georgia for their second match of the spring against Emory at Noon at the Woodruff PE Center.
1. Victor Valente/Matias Hatem (GSUM) def. Oliver Strecker/Stuart Tierney (LIP)8-6
2. Miguel Cortez/Tanner Brown (LIP) def. Ismael Lahlou/Thomas Cook (GSUM) 8-6
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Juan Pablo Gutierrez/Sofiane Chevallier (GSUM) 8-6
1. Victor Valente (GSUM) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. Thomas Cook (GSUM) def. David Salazar (LIP) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
3. Matias Hatem (GSUM) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ismael Lahlou (GSUM) def. Colby Shaw (LIP) 6-4, 6-4
5. Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GSUM) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
6. Michael Vallejo (GSUM) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (10-3)
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|