Friday, April 13, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team clinched a spot in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament on Friday afternoon when they posted a 4-3 win over Florida Gulf Coast at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center in Nashville.
"The guys came out slow in doubles and had a difficult time executing the game plan,” head coach Andrew Harris said. “I was proud of them for responding in singles and showing heart today to make win four of the six singles matches. Stetson is going to be a great challenge tomorrow, but we need to come out relaxed and let the game come to us. If we can do that then we have a shot."
The Bisons suffered a 3-0 sweep in doubles play, giving FGCU a quick 1-0 lead.
Junior Oliver Strecker and sophomore Miguel Cortez fell to Matthew Rock and Lance Lvovsky 8-5 at No. 1, while junior Tanner Brown and freshman Stuart Tierney were defeated by Jackson Moore and Dean Tsamas 8-3 at No. 2.
At No. 3, junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar fell just short of a win, falling 9-7 to Tianyu Bao and Michael Beiler.
The Bisons battled back in singles play, however, to take the lead and eventually clinch the 4-3 win.
Lipscomb then evened it up quickly with a win at No. 2 singles, where freshman Daniel Hernandez defeated Moore 6-3, 6-3.
Strecker picked up another win for the Bisons at No. 1, defeating Bao 6-3, 6-4 and giving LU a 2-1 lead.
Shaw secured another point for the Bisons with his 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 4 over Rock, but Florida Gulf Coast fought back with a win at No. 3 singles, where Tsamas defeated Salazar 6-4, 6-1.
Lipscomb then clinched the match with Tierney’s 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 6 over Beiler.
The Eagles took No. 5 singles as Lvovsky defeated Cortez 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (13-11).
The win evens out the Bisons conference record to 4-4 as they head into their final regular season match on Saturday. Lipscomb hosts Stetson at 2 p.m. at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Lipscomb 4, FGCU 3
1. Oliver Strecker (LIP) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) def. Jackson Moore (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-4, 6-1
4. Colby Shaw (LIP) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Miguel Cortez (LIP) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (13-11)
6. Stuart Tierney (LIP) def. Michael Beiler (FGCU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Matthew Rock/Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Oliver Strecker/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-5
2. Jackson Moore/Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Tanner Brown/Stuart Tierney (LIP) 8-3
3. Tianyu Bao/Michael Beiler (FGCU) def. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) 9-7
FGCU 6-9, 3-5 A-Sun
Lipscomb 9-10, 4-4 A-Sun
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,4,3,6,5)
|Copyright ©2014 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|