Friday, April 13, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team dropped their Atlantic Sun Conference record to 1-7 on Friday when they fell 5-2 to Florida Gulf Coast at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center in Nashville.
"I was happy with the way our freshmen showed up today and competed from the start,” head coach Andrew Harris said. “Jenny and Deahna won at No. 1 doubles and then won their singles matches respectively. We should get some rest though tonight for Stetson in the morning. Hopefully, tomorrow we can have a complete effort and send the seniors off."
Freshmen Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck were the highlight of the match. The duo picked up the Lady Bison’s only win in doubles competition. The pair defeated Marina Diez and Morgan Bechtel 8-2 at the No. 1 spot.
At No. 2 doubles, seniors Elizabeth Keevil and Danielle Hansen fell to Gyanna Mandic and Jen Evans 8-3, while sophomore Alyssa Bellini and senior Samantha Bowman were defeated by Bettin Botha and Sarah Means 8-5 at No. 3.
The Lady Bisons headed into singles play with an early 1-0 deficit. While LU was unable to string together enough singles wins to overcome FGCU’s tough play, Welcher and Borck were able to post two points for Lipscomb.
Welcher recorded a solid 6-2, 6-4 win over Bechtel at No. 2, while Borck pulled out a three-set win after dropping the first set. She came back to easily win the second and third sets, defeating Botha 4-6, 6-2, 6-1.
Bellini fell at No. 1 to Means 7-5, 6-3, while Keevil was defeated at No. 4 by Evans.
At No. 5, Hansen lost to Mandic 6-3, 7-5, and Bowman suffered a 6-1, 7-5 loss to Diez.
The Lady Bisons return to the courts Saturday, hosting Stetson in the final match of 2012. Match play will begin at 9 a.m. at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Florida Gulf Coast University 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Alyssa Bellini (LIP) 7-5, 6-3
2. Deahna Welcher (LIP) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
5. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Danielle Hansen (LIP) 6-3, 7-5
6. Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Samantha Bowman (LIP) 6-1, 7-5
1. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Marina Diez/Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 8-2
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Elizabeth Keevil/Danielle Hansen (LIP) 8-3
3. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Alyssa Bellini/Samantha Bowman (LIP) 8-5
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|