Saturday, January 19, 2013
ATLANTA, GA. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team opened their season Friday on the road in a defeat to the No. 59-ranked Georgia Tech.
In the 4-3 loss to the Yellow Jackets, Oliver Strecker, Stuart Tierney and John Tougher all posted up wins in the singles competition. The team lost in all three of the doubles matches.
Coach Andrew Harris said he feels that the matches showed areas of needed improvement for the team.
“Unfortunately, we came up short on some key areas and some key matches,” Harris said. “We need to continue to get better at being faithful in pressure situations and being confident in our shots.”
Harris said that if those improvements are made, the team should be ready looking ahead.
“I think once we do that,” Harris said, “We’ll be able to take the next step. Moving forward, that’s what we need to work on, and we’ll look forward to getting after it tomorrow against MTSU.”
The Bisons (0-1) are set to play another matchup over the weekend at home against MTSU on Sunday, Jan. 20.
Tennis Match Results
Lipscomb vs Georgia Tech
Jan 18, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.
#59 Georgia Tech 4, Lipscomb 3
1. Oliver Strecker (LIP) def. Juan Melian (GT) 1-2, retired
2. Vikram Hundal (GT) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-4, 6-4
3. Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Stuart Tierney (LIP) def. Garrett Gordon (GT) 6-2, 6-4
6. John Tougher (LIP) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
1. #3 Juan Spir/Vikram Hundal (GT) def. Oliver Strecker/David Salazar (LIP) 8-4
2. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Stuart Tierney/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-6
3. Garrett Gordon/Colin Edwards (GT) def. Daniel Hernandez/Tanner Brown (LIP) 8-6
Georgia Tech 2-0; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,5,2,3,6)
Match played indoors
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|