|News » Archives|
Sunday, January 23, 2011The Lady Bisons fell to Austin Peay in their season opener Saturday afternoon in Clarksville, Tenn., with defaults at the No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles spots being their only points for the day.
“It was tough to open the season with a loss,” senior Julianne McMeen said. “But I think our team can learn from this and continue to move in the right direction.”
Lipscomb started off the match with a 1-0 deficit after losing the doubles point 2-1. Junior Elizabeth Keevil and senior Kara Jackson fell at No. 1 doubles to Weirard and Loo 8-2 while sophomore Carlina Jow and McMeen were defeated by Tonic and Cornea 8-0.
The only doubles win for the Lady Bisons came at the No.3 spot. Junior Danielle Hansen and freshman Alyssa Bellini secured a win by default due to an Austin Peay injury.
Down 1-0, the Lady Bisons were defeated in each of their singles matches with the exception of a default win by McMeen at No. 6.
At the No. 1 spot, Keevil fell to Tonic 6-2, 6-0, while Jackson was defeated by Weirard 6-0, 6-2.
At No. 3, Bellini played a tight match but eventually fell to Cornea 6-3, 7-7(4). Jow lost to Loo 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4, and Hansen fell at No. 5 to Margolies 6-4, 6-3.
The Lady Bisons travel to Memphis to face the University of Memphis on Saturday, January 29th at 7:30 p.m.
1. Weirard/ Loo (AP) def. Keevil/ Jackson (LU) 8-2
2. Tonic/ Cornea (AP) def. Jow/ McMeen 8-0
3. Hansen/ Bellini (LU) def. AP by default
1. Tonic (AP) def. Keevil 6-2, 6-0
2. Weirard (AP) def. Jackson (LU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Cornea (AP) def. Bellini (LU) 6-3,7-6(4)
4. Loo (AP) def. Jow (LU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Margolies (AP) def. Hansen (LU) 6-4, 6-3
6. McMeen (LU) def. AP by default
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant for Lipscomb athletics media relations.