|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 17, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell 5-2 in their Atlantic Sun Conference opener Saturday against rival Belmont.
Head coach Andrew Harris accredited Belmont’s tough competition to the loss.
"Much of the great goes to Belmont today,” Harris said. “In both matches, they played better in the big points and were able to sustain momentum where it counted. Our biggest challenge moving forward is making sure we can continue to get better in critical situations. We will address it this week and get ready for KSU and Mercer."
The Bison started off slowly when they dropped the doubles point 2-1.
Junior Oliver Strecker and sophomore Miguel Cortez were defeated 8-4 at the No. 1 spot by Renato Antun and Rafal Matos.
At No. 2, freshman Stuart Tierney and junior Tanner Brown also fell 8-4 to Rodringo Amaral and Henrique Norbiato.
The Bison’s only doubles win came at No. 3, where junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar defeated Fernando Mussolini and Bruno Silva 8-5.
As the teams moved into singles competition, the Bison were only able to secure two of the six wins.
At No. 5, Brown came back after dropping the first set to post a three-set win over Matos, winning 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The Bison’s only other point came at No. 6, where Cortez took down Silva 6-4, 6-1.
The Bruins took the remaining four singles points.
Strecker was defeated at No. 1 by Antun 7-5, 6-0, while Salazar fell at No. 2 to Norbiato 6-2, 6-0.
At No. 3, freshman Daniel Hernandez fell in three sets to Amaral, losing 3-6, 6-0, 6-4. Tierney was defeated by Mussolini at No. 4 in three sets, falling 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The loss hands the Bison a 0-1 A-Sun record heading into the thick of conference play and an overall record of 5-6.
The Bison will travel to Kennesaw, Ga. on Friday to face Kennesaw State. Match play will begin at Noon.
1. Renato Antun/Rafael Matos (BELM) def. Oliver Strecker/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-4
2. Rodrigo Amaral/Henrique Norbiato (BELM) def. Stuart Tierney/Tanner Brown (LIP) 8-4
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Fernando Mussolini/Bruno Silva (BELM) 8-5
1. Renato Antun (BELM) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 7-5, 6-0
2. Henrique Norbiato (BELM) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-2, 6-0
3. Rodrigo Amaral (BELM) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
4. Fernando Mussolini (BELM) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. Tanner Brown (LIP) def. Rafael Matos (BELM) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Miguel Cortez (LIP) def. Bruno Silva (BELM) 6-4, 6-1