|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 17, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team opened its Atlantic Sun Conference competition on Saturday with a hard-fought 4-3 loss to rival Belmont.
While the Lady Bison played solidly, head coach Andrew Harris attributed the loss to Belmont’s tough competition.
"Much of the credit goes to Belmont today,” Harris said. “In both matches, they played better in the big points and were able to sustain momentum where it counted. Our biggest challenge moving forward is making sure we can continue to get better in critical situations. We will address it this week and get ready for KSU and Mercer."
The Lady Bison got off to a good start, picking up the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
Freshman duo Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck secured a win at No. 1, defeating Abigail Hogan and Laura Stack 8-5.
Senior Samantha Bowman and sophomore Alyssa Bellini won at No. 3, where they took down Nikki Maciel and Spenser-Anne Edwards 8-3.
The Lady Bison’s only doubles loss came at No. 2, where seniors Elizabeth Keevil and Danielle Hansen fell to Carolyn Caire and Natalia Nunes 8-4.
With a 1-0 lead, the Lady Bison headed into singles play, but were only able to post two wins in their six singles matches.
The Lady Bison’s two victories came at No. 2 and No. 3.
Bellini posted a tight two-set win over Fabiana Mersan, winning 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) at No. 2.
At No. 3, Borck recored a three-set 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 win over Catherine Holliday.
The Lady Bison were unable to pull out wins in the remaining four matches.
Welcher was defeated in three sets at No. 1 by Maciel, losing 6-0, 3-6, 6-4.
At No. 4, Keevil fell to Caire 6-4, 6-4, while Hansen lost at No. 5 to Stack 6-3, 6-4.
Bowman fell short at No. 6, losing to Nunes 7-6 (7-2), 6-0.
The loss drops the Lady Bison’s overall record to 3-7 and hands them a 0-1 A-Sun record to start off conference play.
The Lady Bison travel to Kennesaw, Ga. on Friday where they will face A-Sun foe, Kennesaw State. Match play will begin at Noon.
1. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Abigail Hogan/Laura Stack (BELW) 8-5
2. Carolyn Caire/Natalia Nunes (BELW) def. Elizabeth Keevil/Danielle Hansen (LIP) 8-4
3. Samantha Bowman/Alyssa Bellini (LIP) def. Nikki Maciel/Spenser-Anne Edwards (BELW) 8-3
1. Nikki Maciel (BELW) def. Deahna Welcher (LIP) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
2. Alyssa Bellini (LIP) def. Fabiana Mersan (BELW) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Catherine Holliday (BELW) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Carolyn Caire (BELW) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LIP) 6-4, 6-4
5. Laura Stack (BELW) def. Danielle Hansen (LIP) 6-3, 6-4
6. Natalia Nunes (BELW) def. Samantha Bowman (LIP) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0