Wednesday, December 18, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team wraps up nonconference play on Thursday night with a meeting at in-state foe Austin Peay at 7 p.m. at the Winfield Dunn Center.
The game will be a homecoming for Bison junior twins Malcolm and Martin Smith, who are Clarksville natives having played for Clarksville Academy in high school. Both players scored in double figures last season as Martin scored 19 and Malcolm added a dozen against Austin Peay.
Lipscomb (4-6) heads into the contest riding a perfect 4-0 record against the Governors (5-6) in the NCAA Division I era.
The game is set to air on 94.9 Game 2 with Jonathan Seamon, Jay Walton and Jared Revlett on the call.
- Averaging 21.6 points per game over his last five games, Martin Smith has overtaken the scoring lead for the Bisons averaging 17.1 points per game. That figure ranks him second in the Atlantic Sun Conference behind USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig, who averages 18.2.
- J.C. Hampton leads all Atlantic Sun Conference freshmen with a 13.0 points per game scoring average. Hampton ranks tied for 25th nationally in freshman guard scoring.
- Hampton and Martin Smith are bolstering the Bisons free-throw shooting as the duo ranks second and third, respectively, in the Atlantic Sun. Hampton has hit 32-of-37 (.865) while Smith has nailed 46-of-54 (.852). The Bisons are shooting 68.1 percent as a team but when Hampton and Smith are excluded, the squad is hitting a tepid 60.2 percent (123-of-204).
- Lipscomb ranks 25th nationally in free-throw attempts (295) and 31st in free-throws made (201)
- Averaging 7.9 made 3 pointers per game, the Bisons lead the Atlantic Sun Conference and rank tied for 51st nationally.
- The Bisons road warriors continue the five-game road swing on Thursday night against the Governors. Lipscomb squeezed in a home game against Tennessee Tech on Dec. 5 to break up a run of nine-straight contests on the road.