|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 08, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell 7-0 to Ball State on Saturday at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center at Lipscomb University.
“Ball State has been a consistently strong program for many years and they gave us all that we could handle,” said Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez.
With only five players on the line-up, the Bisons had to give up a match in doubles and a point in singles.
At No. 2 Doubles, Daniel Hernandez and Robert Mitchell recorded the only victory for Lipscomb. Hernandez and Mitchell defeated Ball State’s Lucas Anderson and Andrew Stutz 8-6.
Ball State’s Ray Leonard and Austin Smith defeated LU’s pair of Miguel Cortez and Stuart Tierney in a close doubles fight 8-7 (2).
“We played pretty well in the doubles but couldn't quite take the doubles point,” coach Hernandez said. “Our doubles is getting better though, which is a good sign for conference.”
In singles, the Bisons lost a point by default and lost the rest of the five positions.
“In singles, we have had better days to say the least,” coach Hernandez said. “But we have another match Sunday which I'm excited about because I think it's a good opportunity for us to erase this one from our memories and move on.”
The Bisons, 1-6, will face Southern Illinois on Sunday at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith courts at 10 a.m.
1. Pat Elliot (Ball St.) won 6-3, 7-6 (5) vs. Rob Mitchell (Lip.)
2. Ray Leonard (Ball St.) won 6-4, 6-1 vs. Stuart Tierney (Lip.)
3. Lucas Andersen (Ball St.) won 6-3, 6-3 vs. Miguel Cortez (Lip.)
4. Austin Smith (Ball St.) won 6-4, 6-2 vs. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.)
5. Pat Downs (Ball St.) won 6-2, 6-2 vs. Nacor Ibanez (Lip.)
6. Ball St. won by default
1. Leonard/Smith ( Ball St.) won 8-7 (2) vs. Cortez/Tierney (Lip.)
2. Hernandez/Mitchell (Lip.) won 8-6 vs .Andersen/Stutz (Ball St.)
3. BSU won by Default