|News » Archives|
Monday, March 31, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team fell to Samford University 7-0 in a non-conference match.
The Lady Bisons did not record any singles or doubles victories in the match Wednesday at the Samford Tennis Center.
The Lady Bisons are 9-7 overall this season.
Samford took the doubles point away from Lipscomb by not dropping any of its three matches.
In singles play the Lady Bisons got solid performances, but could not get a win against Samford.
Deahna Welcher at No. 1 for Lipscomb lost in a third-set fight against Stephanie N’tcha. Welcher started off well in the first set by not dropping a game and taking the set 6-0, but later gave the match away by losing two sets consecutively. The final score was 0-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Melissa Kromer at No.2 lost in a close straight-set fight against Samford’s Kristin Lewis.
Lipscomb lost at No. 3, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 in straight sets.
Samford, from the Southern Conference, is 14-2 overall and is 9-0 at home this season. They have won 11 straight home matches dating back to March 22, 2013.
The Lady Bisons, 2-2 in the Atlantic Sun Conference, play two crucial matches this weekend. Stetson visits the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center Friday at 10 a.m. Saturday Florida Gulf Coast will be on campus for a 9 a.m. match. These will be the last home regular season matches.
Samford 7, Lipscomb 0
1. Stephanie N'tcha (SAM) def. Deahna Welcher (LIP) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Kristin Lewis (SAM) def. Melissa Kromer (LIP) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Yasmeen Ebada (SAM) def. Laura Kent (LIP) 6-2, 6-0
4. Jessica Northcutt (SAM) def. Jenny Borck (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
5. Emily Mallory (SAM) def. Lorena Djuknic (LIP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Lauren Caballero (SAM) def. Sierra Troxel (LIP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kristin Lewis/Emily Mallory (SAM-WT) def. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (LIPW) 8-5
2. Jessica Northcutt/Stephanie N'tcha (SAM-WT) def. Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIPW) 8-5
3. Carita Moolman/Yasmeen Ebada (SAM-WT) def. Lorena Djuknic/Sierra Troxel (LIPW) 8-1