Thursday, April 24, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb baseball team returns home Friday night to start a three-game Atlantic Sun Conference series with Northern Kentucky at Ken Dugan Field at Stephen L. Marsh Stadium.
Friday’s first pitch is set for 6 p.m. between the Bisons (24-18, 12-6 A-Sun) and the Norse (12-16, 7-8 A-Sun). The series continues on Saturday at 6 p.m. before wrapping up on Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Bisons will be looking to right the ship after dropping a 13-3 decision to rival Belmont Tuesday night at E.S. Rose Park.
Northern Kentucky is coming off a two-game split with Xavier earlier in the week.
This will be NKU’s first-ever trip to Lipscomb in baseball. The two teams have met just once in the series history when the Bisons swept the Norse in three games last season in Highland Heights.
Friday night and Sunday afternoon’s contests will air on http://www.ASun.TV. To purchase tickets logon to http://www.LipscombTickets.com
Lipscomb – Ian Martinez-McGraw – RHP – (6-1, 4.25 ERA, 72.0 IP, 30 BB, 39 K)
Northern Ky. – Kyle Colletta – RHP – (0-2, 5.51 ERA, 16.1 IP, 5 BB, 8 K)
Lipscomb – Hunter Brothers – RHP – (2-2, 5.27 ERA, 42.2 IP, 36 BB, 31 K)
Northern Ky. – Adam Jafine – LHP – (1-4, 7.97 ERA, 40.2 IP, 18 BB, 24 K)
Lipscomb – Denton Norman – RHP – (5-3, 2.97 ERA, 60.2 IP, 22 BB, 35 K)
Northern Ky. – Wendell Wright – RHP – (2-3, 5.40 ERA, 45.0 IP, 27 BB, 19 K)
Around the Horn:
- Big innings have been a large part of the success for the team in 2014. Six times this season the Bisons have posted seven or more runs in a frame. Lipscomb has also scored four or more runs in an inning 18 times.
- The Bisons sit atop the Atlantic Sun Conference rankings in runs scored (277), RBIs (244), doubles (83) and walks (204). On the mound, Lipscomb leads the league in opposing batting average (.239) and fewest hits allowed (323).
- Lipscomb ranks fifth in the nation in double plays having turned 47 pitcher’s best friends.
- A number of players rank among the nation’s leaders including junior shortstop Grant Massey who is tied for 23rd in the nation in walks (31). Massey also ranks among A-Sun’s leaders in multiple categories: third in runs scored (38), fourth in doubles (14), tied for fourth in stolen bases (11), fifth in total bases (83), ninth in on-base percentage (.434) and 10th in hits (54).
- Senior outfielder Drew Adams is the nation’s 11th-best RBI man, knocking in 45 is season. In the A-Sun, Adams ranks third in walks (28) and is tied for sixth in triples (3).
- Junior second baseman Mike Korte is tied with Massey for first in the A-Sun in walks (31). Junior centerfielder Jonathan Allison is tied for seventh in RBIs (31) and eighth in runs scored (35).
- Drawing 204 free passes on the season, the Bisons rank seventh nationally.
- With 83 doubles, the Bisons rank 16th in the nation.
- Lipscomb ranks eighth nationally with 18 triples and 16th in runs scored, plating 277.
- With a doubleheader sweep against Oakland on March 8, Lipscomb skipper Jeff Forehand picked up career win No. 400.