ROSEMONT, Ill. – Abby Fenichel slammed two home runs and added a sacrifice fly to drive in four runs for Lipscomb in a 5-1 win over IUPUI at the Total Sports Control Invitational Saturday morning.
The Lady Bisons, who have won their last three games, will make a quick turnaround and face Iowa at 11:30 a.m. at The Dome at Rosemont.
Lipscomb is 3-4. IUPUI falls to 2-6.
The early morning start agreed with the Lady Bisons. Fenichel got things started with a bang as she slammed a two-run home to left field in the first inning.
In the third Fenichel brought home Brittany Elmore on a sacrifice fly to left field. The Lady Bisons added another run in the third when Kasey Gibson scored from third on a wild pitch.
Lipscomb right-hander Mandy Jordan (1-1), making her second start of the season, held IUPUI to six hits. She walked three and struck out six to pick up her first collegiate victory. She threw shutout softball until the sixth inning when she gave up an RBI-single to left field.
In the seventh Fenichel struck again to lead off the inning with a solo home run to left field.
Six of Lipscomb’s 10 hits were for extra bases. Brittany Elmore, Sarah Higgins and Fenichel each had two hits.
The Lady Bisons are 3-0 overall in the series with Iowa.
- Fenichel’s four RBI are a team season high. Her two home runs are also a season team game high.
- Fenichel’s four RBI tie her career high when she brought in four runs in the 2015 season opener against Missouri-Kansas City. Her two home runs also tie her career game high, again set against Missouri-Kansas City.
- Elmore stole two bases, a season high, and tied Gibson for most stolen bases in a game this season. Gibson and Khayla Green each stole a base.
- In addition to Fenichel’s two home runs, Higgins added a triple and a double while Caitlin Plocheck and Riley Brown each connected for doubles.
- Elmore has at least one hit in all seven games this season. Higgins has hits in her last six games. Fenichel has at least one hit in the last four games.
- Fenichel is tied for the team lead with three multi-hit games and leads in multiple-RBI games with three.